Knowledge 360!

Anything else! Ideas for new games, gossip, chat, jokes etc...
User avatar
Fuzzy Wonky
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:15 am
Location: Beyond human imagination

Post by Fuzzy Wonky » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:41 pm

Bob, you got it!
-- NEITHER FOR NOR AGAINST (quite the reverse!) --
LIFE'S A TRAP. WE WON'T GET OUT OF IT ALIVE!

User avatar
Fighter_Ace
Posts: 409
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:36 am
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's
Contact:

Post by Fighter_Ace » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:52 pm

Fuzzy Wonky wrote:Well, I'm hopeless at anything scientific but I'd say [e] if I remember well...
Now,
1.
Read the following sentence:

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RESULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIFIC STUDY COMBINED WITH THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS.

Now count aloud the F's in that sentence. Count them only once. Do not go back and count them again. Ready?
How many F's do you count?

2.
This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so plain you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is unusual though. Study it, and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out.
Correct answer is (a). Nice try though!

Wow what a jump! I KNEW putting a knowledge vs knowledge topic up would spike the charts! Anyway, great quiz Fuzzy_Wonky!

I agree with Bob Janova, there are no E's. (EDIT: Oops! Too late. Already answered)


Mind-teaser:

Code: Select all

Mary's father has three daughters. The names are: Jenny, Anna... what is the name of the last one?
Joke of 'da day:

Code: Select all

How can a turtle cross the road in the middle of rush-hour traffic?

To find the answer, you must take the "D" out of "road" and the "F" out of "way".
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

User avatar
Fuzzy Wonky
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:15 am
Location: Beyond human imagination

Post by Fuzzy Wonky » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:18 pm

Fighter_Ace wrote: Mind-teaser:

Code: Select all

Mary's father has three daughters. The names are: Jenny, Anna... what is the name of the last one?
Mary of course.
-- NEITHER FOR NOR AGAINST (quite the reverse!) --
LIFE'S A TRAP. WE WON'T GET OUT OF IT ALIVE!

User avatar
Andy
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: Edinburgh! (its le balls)

Post by Andy » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:25 pm

Fuzzy Wonky wrote:btw why don?t you read the previous answer for the 9, huh?
cos i did it without looking at the other answers, cpoied an pasted your questio ns into the the reply window and set to work.



and now to set upon 'guest's' attempt at hard to answer questions (incidentally, was this entire topic started off because you had a hwk q to do??? in which case ask a harder question like:

'find f(x) if:

f'(x) = (2x^2 + 2)/(2x^3 + 2x + 4) dx????


- WHY are pizzas delivered to our homes more quickly than ambulances?
cos u dont often get home delivery ambulances

- WHY are there parking places for the handicapped persons before skating rinks?
so they can watch

- WHY do people order a double cheeseburger, bit greasy ships and a "light" coke?
they might prefer the taste

- WHY can?t women keep their mouth closed when putting on some mascara?
cos they arent as good at it as us men, and have to concentrate more

- WHY is "abbreviation" such a long word?
because it has lots of letters

- WHY do you have to click Start to exit Windows?
you dont

- WHY is lemon juice made of synthetic flavors whereas whashing-up liquid is made of actual lemons?
because washing up liquid does not have to keep for long enough to be fit for human consumption

- WHY do they sterilize needles before practising euthanasia?
incase they prick themselves

- How do they say flying is so secure and yet call airports ?terminals??
it probably french or something

- WHY do we press harder the remote control buttons when batteries are running flat?
because it works dammit

- WHY do we wash bath towels : aren?t we supposed to be clean when we dry ourselves after a bath?
to get rid of the once clean, now made dirty water weve been sitting in

- WHY did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets ?
incase they got hit during theyre dive - surprisingly hard to hit home accurately. although admittedly a bit of steel doesnt do too much to stop a .50 cal. round in the face

- Do the workers at LIPTON?s also have a coffee break?
more than likely, with the strict labour laws in wherever the hell they work

- WHY do sheep never shrink under the rain?
because of the lanalin (??) in their coats which acts as a natural waterproofing agent

- WHY must "separated" be written in one word whereas "all together" needs two separated words?
because that is the convention, what do i look like, an english teacher????????????

- I would like to buy a new boomerang; how can I get rid of the old one?
by selling it on a street corner in exchange for some dominoes, which are far better than boomerangs

- As to establishments that remain open 24 hours a day, WHY do they have locks and bolts?
for holidays

- WHY din?t that Noah dude squash the two mosquitos ?
he was a naturist, duu...
________
herbalaire vaporizer
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Fuzzy Wonky
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:15 am
Location: Beyond human imagination

Post by Fuzzy Wonky » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:27 pm

Fighter_Ace wrote: Science:

Code: Select all

Which of these is the correct formula for density?

(a) MASS/VOLUME (b) VOLUME/GRAVITY (c) VOLUME/MASS (d) VOLUME/√(MASS)? (e) [None of these]
:oops: I thought density was: mass of a given volume (of considered body) / mass of the same volume (of water, or air for a gas).
Was a bit long ago, you know (last time in 1975). Hard to remember... :?
-- NEITHER FOR NOR AGAINST (quite the reverse!) --
LIFE'S A TRAP. WE WON'T GET OUT OF IT ALIVE!

User avatar
Fuzzy Wonky
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:15 am
Location: Beyond human imagination

Post by Fuzzy Wonky » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:45 pm

Andy wrote:
Fuzzy Wonky wrote:btw why don?t you read the previous answer for the 9, huh?
cos i did it without looking at the other answers, cpoied an pasted your questio ns into the the reply window and set to work.
--------------------------------------------------------------
and now to set upon 'guest's' attempt at hard to answer questions
--------------------------------------------------------------
- How do they say flying is so secure and yet call airports ?terminals??
it probably french or something
------------------------------------------------------------------------
- WHY must "separated" be written in one word whereas "all together" needs two separated words?
because that is the convention, what do i look like, an english teacher????????????
why don?t you read the previous answer for the 9, not why didn't you read... :wink:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not sure he was really expecting any answer at all... :roll:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you mean french or something??? :evil:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't know. What do they look like? :D Aren't they all phlegmatic? :lol:
-- NEITHER FOR NOR AGAINST (quite the reverse!) --
LIFE'S A TRAP. WE WON'T GET OUT OF IT ALIVE!

User avatar
ima_gnu
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:57 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC, Canada

Post by ima_gnu » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:15 am

there is no f in way. rofl. <3
I poop, therefore I am.

User avatar
ima_gnu
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:57 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC, Canada

Post by ima_gnu » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:20 am

I CANT REMEMBER HOW TO DO F OF X!!

I'm a math major....in my second year. and I cant do f(x)

I forgot how to do it :(
I poop, therefore I am.

Guest

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:24 am

ima_gnu wrote:there is no f in way. rofl. <3
I had noticed ther's no f in "way"... Why rofl? (Must be something I don't get...) :evil:

Was just told this one:
A waiter asked the man, "May I take your order, sir?" The man asked, "How do you prepare your chicken?" The waiter replied," No preparation, we just flat out tell them they're gonna die!!!"

User avatar
Fighter_Ace
Posts: 409
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:36 am
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's
Contact:

Post by Fighter_Ace » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:33 am

guest wrote:
ima_gnu wrote:there is no f in way. rofl. <3
I had noticed ther's no f in "way"... Why rofl? (Must be something I don't get...) :evil:
The joke was implying that there IS no f***ing way that frog was gunna get across that road :lol: .

Grammar/English:

Code: Select all

What do adverbs tell? What do adjectives tell?

Code: Select all

What type of sentence is this:

"Please get me a plate."

(a) statement (b) imperative (c) interrogative (d) exclamatory (e) [none of these]

Fuzzy_Wonky wrote:I thought density was: mass of a given volume (of considered body) / mass of the same volume (of water, or air for a gas).
Was a bit long ago, you know (last time in 1975). Hard to remember...
Wow, you sure seem like you remember a lot. 1975 you say? Long time and yet still chugging away :) !
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

User avatar
Old Man Johnson
Posts: 541
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:38 am
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Contact:

Post by Old Man Johnson » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:11 am

Uh...isn't..."f(x)" the same thing as "y"?


What do adverbs tell? What do adjectives tell?

Adjectives describe nouns. Adverbs describe adjectives or verbs.

What type of sentence is this:

"Please get me a plate."

That's imperative.

------------------
Ok, what about some pre-calculus?

If f(x) = 3x(squared dammit) + 2x + 1, what is the derivative (f'(x))? And what is a derivative anyway?
-----------------

As you can see I'm one o them math minds... :idea:
My webcomic:
Image

User avatar
ima_gnu
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:57 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC, Canada

Post by ima_gnu » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:48 am

f of x is the same as y, but like I said, I havent done nonlinear algebra since grade 12, so I will have to refresh a bit before I can remember the process for elimination. Speaking of which....


I had to do trig without a calculator the other day. I was at a local highschool and I told a grade 11 student he could pick any page in his math textbook and I could do the whole page in under 45 minutes. It took me nearly two hours, because I had to do stuff like this.

Right triangle, angle A is 36 degrees, angle B is 90 (duh) side AB is 4cm and side BC is 6cm. What is 1) the length of side AC 2) angle C

The first one was cake, but the second.....took a while. Remember, I had to do it without a calculator. Its simple stuff with a calc.
I poop, therefore I am.

User avatar
Fighter_Ace
Posts: 409
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:36 am
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's
Contact:

Post by Fighter_Ace » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:43 am

Old Man Johnson wrote:Uh...isn't..."f(x)" the same thing as "y"?


What do adverbs tell? What do adjectives tell?

Adjectives describe nouns. Adverbs describe adjectives or verbs.

What type of sentence is this:

"Please get me a plate."

That's imperative.
Bingo! Grammar king here! *points up*
Old Man Johnson wrote:
------------------
Ok, what about some pre-calculus?

If f(x) = 3x(squared dammit) + 2x + 1, what is the derivative (f'(x))? And what is a derivative anyway?
-----------------

As you can see I'm one o them math minds... :idea:
I don't like bragging but I'll admit, you got talent. I'm only in Algebra II so I wouldn't know the solution to that equation. However, I would describe a derivative as:

Derived function: the result of mathematical differentiation (or) the instantaneous change of one quantity relative to another

In mathematics, the derivative of a function is one of the two central concepts of calculus.


Nevertheless, I am very excited to find out how the function is figured. Whoever solves the problem, could you display your work? Also, does any one know a great site that explains it :roll: ?

Riddle:

There are three guys stuck on an island? one father and his two sons. But alas, there is a boat, yet it can only hold 200 pounds. The father weighs 200 pounds and each of the boys weigh 100 pounds. How will they ALL get off?

Joke:

An airplane is crashing and there are three people left on board, a priest, a boy, and the smartest man in the world. The only problem is there are just two parachutes. They begin to discuss who gets them. All of a sudden, the smartest man in the world break out and says, "I am a genius, the world can't survive without me!" He then jumps out with a pack. The priest looks at the boy and says, "Now we must pray." "Why?" replied the boy, "Are we going to die?" "No. But the smartest man in the world just jumped out with your backpack!" On the way down, the "genius" pulled the rip-cord and out flew books, one of which he grabbed. He then read the title? "The Law of Gravity"
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

User avatar
Bob Janova
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:21 pm

Post by Bob Janova » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:39 pm

Ok, what about some pre-calculus?

If f(x) = 3x(squared dammit) + 2x + 1, what is the derivative (f'(x))? And what is a derivative anyway?
Squared symbol, ?, is Alt+0178. And, for future reference, the cube symbol is 0179.

The answer is 6x+2. And a derivative is pretty much "the instantaneous change of one quantity relative to another" ? the slope of a graph of one against the other is how I visualise it but it's the same thing.
Uh...isn't..."f(x)" the same thing as "y"?
Not quite, no. f(x) is just a function which takes values 'x' and produces answers. It's typically when you draw a graph that you assign f(x) to teh Y axis, and x to the X axis.

</geekery>

User avatar
Garnier
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:11 pm
Location: America
Contact:

Post by Garnier » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:14 pm

Ahhhhhh algebra II... these are not the days....

Post Reply