Page 1 of 1
Want to beta test my new Text editor?
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:34 pm
I got fed up with all the text editors out there not doing exactly what I wanted so I thought I'd just have to write my own one! If you'd like to be a beta tester here is the latest version:
Here's what I think is cool about it:
- multiple files open at once
- it does on the fly spell checking
- it does syntax highlighting of HTML
- it can tidy HTML
- you can use the right hand mouse to drag the screen around
- there's a mini map to the right that shows the whole file zoomed out
If you use any text editor and I've missed out your favourite features please let me know!
Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:56 am
Hey, runs fine so far, no obvious problems spotted. Looks good. A replace all feature would be good rather than having to ok each item. I do like it a lot so far! Will use it for the forseeable future looking for issues!
Oh, nice dog!
I posted this accidently as a guest in a thread in the firefight forum, can't delete it as I wasn't logged in sorry!
Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:45 am
i'll give it a good once over tomorrow(sat)...
Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:39 pm
it looks good so far sean i've been able to use it just like notepad
i would also agree a replace all would be nice...i assume you'd
do that anyways just want to re-afirm that feature...
i never give MAX scores for any products
so i give it 3.5 of 5 stars
or a (B) or 80% approval...
Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:35 am
Yes, I'll definitely add a Replace All before officially releasing it.
Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:52 pm
good job, Sean!
I really like the mini-map, and the ability to drag the screen!
a possible bug:
- the mini-map is not shown when the editor is full-screen;
a few suggestions:
- when right-clicking on a file tab, a menu should appear allowing the user to perform common operations on the file: close, save, save as, reload, and so on;
- there should be an option to hide the ruler; also, I don't find it neither being very useful nor looking quite good in its current state...
Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:03 am
just noticed the Insert Symbol
feature and liked it... yet I have to recommend some changes:
you should catch the mouse_up event rather than the mouse_down one, since it's very easy to click on the wrong symbol;
- often, more symbols need to be inserted at once: I'd make it so that when you click on a symbol it is actually inserted, yet the Insert Symbol
dialog remains open allowing to select other symbols - then the user could close it by pressing the Cancel button.
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:21 am
It's now got a website at:
and the latest beta version (19) that you can get from there has Replace All.
There is an option to hide the rulers (click on Options | Show horizontal/vertical ruler).
I'll work on improving the Insert Symbol dialog box.
I've made it so the mini map stays on the screen now even if you push the main window to the right of the screen or maximize it.
I've completely redone the Undo/Redo code so let me know if you spot any problems!
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:53 pm
Nice tool. I especially like the Firefox-like Tabbing. Very handy.
1 suggestion: I instinctively right-clicked on a section of highlighted text, looking for a menu to cut/copy. Not a four-alarm fire, but would be a nice feature to have.
In the same line of thinking, right clicking on the tab to save or close would be nice too...but there again, not a mission critical.