I'm making a game

Anything to do with programming games...
Garnier

I'm making a game

Post by Garnier » Fri May 06, 2011 2:53 am

I've been making games since I was very young, board games then. Now I've been programming for a few years and am making computer games as a hobby. Sean was one of the hobbyist game makers whom I was inspired by and now I've got something to share.

I started a new project last week, and it's the type that might interest the folks on here. After all I was one of the "folks on here" some time back and it interests me! The website is www.org.philipmcg.com. It's a free download.

It's a real time strategy game where you explore and settle a randomly generated island or group of islands. It supports live multiplayer, and we've had up to 5 players in game at once. It can get quite competitive building roads all over the place and grabbing up the resources. :)

Some of my other projects:

www.pac.philipmcg.com (Turn based strategy game)
www.sow.philipmcg.com (Hard to describe civil war thing)
Last edited by Garnier on Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Fri May 06, 2011 10:50 am

Looks good! What's it written in? How did you do the networking?

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Sat May 07, 2011 12:54 pm

It's written in C#. I use SlimDX for rendering, it's a wrapper on DX9. For networking, I use the .NET TcpClient class, which is a wrapper on Socket.

I first made a client/server system that is based on frames (network frames not rendering). So the clients send messages to the server, and the server sends them out to all clients attaching a frame number for it to be executed on. Then the server at regular intervals sends an endframe message at which point all the clients execute all messages that arrived for the frame being ended.

So the networking code doesn't know anything about the game, all it does is pass messages.

And I love C#. I've tried a lot of languages, but C# is beautiful. The language feels like it was designed by someone who wanted to use it, which is something I can only say about one or two others. To write the same game in C++ or Java based on what I've written in those languages, would take two or three times as much code and an even larger factor of time.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Wed May 11, 2011 11:09 am

I'd really like to use DirectX in my games but I'm always worried that the user won't have DirectX 9 and the correct D3DX9_xx.dll installed. I wrote this wrapper:

http://www.windowsgames.co.uk/blitz2D.html

that means I could write games that use Direct X if the user's got DirectX 9 installed and any D3DX9_xx.dll from _18 to _42. And if not the game would use GDI+ as that's guaranteed to be there on any version of Windows - but would run much more slowly.

My concern is do most people who now have Vista and Windows 7 get around to installing DirectX 9? I could maybe add support for DirectX 11 in my wrapper code but it feels like I'm trying to hit a moving target.

I think Microsoft have really let small developers down by having no accelerated graphics technology across all versions of Windows. Only GDI and GDI+ is guaranteed to be there - but they stopped allowing GDI to be accelerated from Vista onwards!

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Wed May 11, 2011 2:29 pm

My concern is do most people who now have Vista and Windows 7 get around to installing DirectX 9?

A lot of "older" games require it and include a DX installer with the download or on the CD. Most people I've found already had it even after XP.

But if they don't, what I do is include their web installer with the game. I check if they have DX9, if not I start the web installer.

If I were to code it to perform well enough on GDI[+] I may as well not use DirectX to begin with.

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Mon May 16, 2011 12:35 am

it look promising, but the .exe files doesn't work on my computer :?
I need to write something, so i create that signature.

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Mon May 16, 2011 12:59 am

I made a new installer recently and only tested it on my computer. It doesn't work on the one I'm on now either. Unfortunately my motherboard failed last night (after a good 5 years of service) so I won't be developing for a few days. I'll fix the installer once my computer is up and running again. :)

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Sat May 21, 2011 2:34 pm

At last, got everything up and running last night and fixed the Org installer this morning.

I've put the download link back up on www.org.philipmcg.com.

Enjoy :)

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Sat May 21, 2011 8:45 pm

maybe it's only my old computer, but there is a file missing. The file Update.BAT don't work correctly...

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Sun May 22, 2011 2:26 am

You deleted everything you had, downloaded from the link again, and tried to install, and it still doesn't work?

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Mon May 23, 2011 2:20 am

work!
let's test it a bit now :) then I will give you feed back

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Mon May 23, 2011 5:13 pm

I'd be glad to play but we'd have to be able to communicate somehow. My tester friends and I use MSN messenger.

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Mon May 23, 2011 10:15 pm

mmm :? each time I click on the exe files, it seem to start. It load something (Data, directX, etc ) but the game don't start.
what is the required version of DirectX? I actually have 9.0c I think.

rosssteven22

Post by rosssteven22 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:19 am

This is great. Thanks for the post.