[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - First to post

First to post

Anything to do with programming games...

First to post

Postby Old Man Johnson » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:22 pm

Sean, you program mostly in C, correct? Is it to do?
My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby BoxZone_Author » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:53 pm

That question is a bit like asking "Is it difficult to write a novel in English".

It's difficult to write a good game in C. It's relatively easy to write a simple one.
Most of what I write is in C too, it's a lot easier than the stuff Sean writes but it's not as good either.
BoxZone_Author

Postby sid6.7 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:05 am

sid6.7

Re: First to post

Postby Sean OConnor » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:43 am

Sean OConnor

Postby OrigamiGuy » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:54 pm

"Stupid people exist to give smart people something fun to do." ~Me
"Those who can constantly quote others aren't necessarily well-read. Maybe they simply have no ideas of their own." ~Me
OrigamiGuy

Postby Old Man Johnson » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:22 pm

My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby Legacy » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:25 pm

Legacy

Postby Old Man Johnson » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:29 pm

Is it difficult to write a novel in English?
My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby Legacy » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:25 am

No, but to write a good one takes the Frank Herberts, Tolkiens, and Heinleins of the world to write a great novel, just as it takes a gifted programmer and all-around thinker, much like Sean, to make a good game. I've got a mid-level gaming rig, and games from Empire Earth to Halo, yet I find myself spending 90% of my gaming time playing CM, Slay, and Conquest. I own Civ 3 and the expansions, so what do I do? I think to myself "Do I want to mess with a week of Civ 3 just to conquer the world again?" then I load up Mother of all Battles. I find it ironic that a gaming package I spent $40 USD on gets ten to twenty times the play time as the hundreds, possibly thousands, of dollars of games I've bought over the years. The only rival to these games in my gaming library is StarCraft: Brood War. I think it says something for the true value of gameplay. All of the newer 3D strategy games tire me, but games like this with good gameplay and minimal graphics fill the need for a good, fun game.
Legacy

Postby Old Man Johnson » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:42 am

Brood War is great. I also love how it runs on my crappy computer as well as my good one.
My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby OrigamiGuy » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:47 pm

Brood War is one of the great equalizers of the gaming world. If you rock at Brood War, you just rock. I wasn't a fan of Warcraft III, though. Warcraft II was much more fun to play.

I agree with Legacy on this one. A great game is all about fun, not graphics or extras. Everyone has a different idea of fun. I jumped for joy when all the abandonware sites started getting publicity across the net. I've been playing stuff like the Leisure Suit Larry series and X-Com, Civilization 1, and I even found all my favorite Commander Keen games.
"Stupid people exist to give smart people something fun to do." ~Me
"Those who can constantly quote others aren't necessarily well-read. Maybe they simply have no ideas of their own." ~Me
OrigamiGuy

Postby Old Man Johnson » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:12 am

Graphics can certinly help a game look really good, but if it's not fun, it doesn't matter how good it looks because you won't be playing it.

Interesting how this turned into a discussion on what's good in a game...
My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby Legacy » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:59 pm

I'm a fan of a lot of old DOS games that few people I know have ever played, probably because I had an AT&T 6300 when I was a kid and played Beast and Elite, and Might and Magic: Secret of the Inner Sanctum, as well as a bunch of others, like the Kroz series. Anyway, my attraction to Sean's games is mostly because they have an older, simpler feel to them, but especially in Critical Mass, there are so many different ways to use what is at hand to accomplish your ends.

And from my experience with forums, topics are only accurate until someone posts.
Legacy

THEIF

Postby The Truth » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:37 am

Read the OMERGA FILE. Learn the truth
The Truth

Postby Legacy » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:54 am

Legacy

Next

Return to Programming