[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Wanting Free Proggraming Lessons

Wanting Free Proggraming Lessons

Anything to do with programming games...

Postby frawsty » Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:35 pm

frawsty

Postby frawsty » Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:41 pm

Johnny
--------
http://www.funkyfreshdesigns.com
Web Dev, Game Dev, Computer Support, Networking and more!
frawsty

Postby qwas » Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:31 pm

Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2
qwas

Postby Legacy » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:47 pm

Legacy

Postby OrigamiGuy » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:40 am

"Stupid people exist to give smart people something fun to do." ~Me
"Those who can constantly quote others aren't necessarily well-read. Maybe they simply have no ideas of their own." ~Me
OrigamiGuy

Postby qwas » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:29 am

qwas

Postby OrigamiGuy » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:47 am

The best way to learn any programming language is the same way you learn a foreign language like Spanish or something.

1.) It helps to have lots and lots of practice.

2.) It helps to have another person who knows the language already, to answer your questions.

The best recommendations I can make are to buy a good book from an actual bookstore (because online tutorials can be clumsy) or find an online forum geared specifically toward programming games.

If you're REALLY serious about learning to program, then you might consider paying for a computer programming course at your local university or community college (I'm not sure what the equivalent is in the UK). Nothing can teach you faster than someone who's already been there, and is in person helping you through it.
"Stupid people exist to give smart people something fun to do." ~Me
"Those who can constantly quote others aren't necessarily well-read. Maybe they simply have no ideas of their own." ~Me
OrigamiGuy

Postby Legacy » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:34 pm

I'll vouch for that. When I was 7 or 8 I started fooling with GWBASIC on my AT&T 6300, a computer made sevral years before I was born, and it was easier to learn from my mom showing me(She's not a programmer, but she knew some from working at a library downstate and BASIC is old, so she knew some from just playing with it over the years. And then, more recently, I tried teaching myself VB, but didn't get too far until I took CP Computer Programming I and II my junior year in high school(also known as this past school year, heh). Mind you, after the first semester i started working way ahead of the class, hence landing myself in my current programming project, a game that I'm making just to see if I can, and because my friends want me to. They helped come up with the basis from it which was played on paper, but they don't seem to want to learn to program to help me, despite that I've offered to give them free lessons. Great friends, eh.
Legacy

Postby Old Man Johnson » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:12 pm

I have to agree with that too, but I've found that if you play around with a language enough, you eventually figure out how to use it. Also, since you've used it so much, you have a deep familiarity with it. I had that happen to me with my TI-83 calculator and its programming language (rather like Basic).

However, I don't recommend this. It took me many zoned out math classes before I could fifure things out. Very time consuming.
My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby qwas » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:41 pm

qwas

Postby frawsty » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:10 pm

def. go small for awhile. making small apps boots your confidence as you work through the little bugs in your code and finally complete it. now that you have better direction make sure you also learn good programming practices, this will help you become a better programmer. being lazy and not documenting your code or making sloppy code will get you into bad habits, make it tough for any programmers that work on your code after you, and making it harder on you when you go back to work on something you made weeks, months, years ago.

in my experience you are always evolving and getting better or doing things different, when you go back and look at old code you will thank yourself when you have comments in it.

your best bet is to go sign up for a beginner C Programming 101 class or something like that. their are many benefits to this, mainly you are learning from an experienced programmer. teaching yourself isnt always the best way to learn the basics. once you get a handle on the language, teaching yourself the advanced stuff from books is much easier. i do this all the time. learning from others will get you on the fast track though.

dont let anyone scam you into buying a development environment, you can find almost everything for free on the web. as you get more serious then getting the apps like Visual C++ etc will make life easier.

as you get more advanced, dont forget to learn about databases too! these take your apps to the next level and beyond. if you really want to get into game programming, you should look into getting a computer science degree or taking the classes atleast. here in the usa we have several schools that are teaching game programming and the whole science and business about it as actual degrees/certificates.

here is a link to Teach Yourself C In 24 Hours (these teach yourself books are great, i have a bunch of them)

Teach yourself C++ in 24 hours

Teach yourself game programming in 24 hours

(Advanced)
after you have learned C/C++ and Visual C++ you can jump on this bad boy, Teach yourself game programming in DirectX:
[url]
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846[/url]

Teach yourself Flash in 24 hours:

Dont let the "24 hours" title fool you. you wont learn this in one day. This means, each lesson is broken up into 24, 1 hour lessons = 24 hours :)

If you goto Amazon.com and do a book search for "Teach yourself game programming" you will get a bunch of hits for C/C++, visual basic, java etc. you have a lot of options but C and C++ are a must before you even get started on this.

btw, i recommend using www.google.com as your search engine vs. yahoo or microsoft etc.

here is a great website to learn c/c++ without buying any books but having reference material really helps:
Johnny
--------
frawsty

Postby qwas » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:47 pm

thx

qwas

Postby qwas » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:48 pm

What is the difference between C and C++?

qwas

Postby frawsty » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:18 pm

C is the base level of the language...much simpler, pure "inline" coding using the language.

C++ is when you use C but taking it to the next level, Object Oriented Programming (OOP.)

In C++ you will learn how to combine variable data, custom funtions etc. into "classes" with which you make "objects." This is very powerful and can make your code much quicker. OOP is understood as the "professional" way to develop. This is pretty advanced and takes a little but of "out of the box" thinking to grasp the concept. Once you do, you can kick things into high gear :)

Just get started with C. Make little programs that do one thing, then move up to more complex things. My advice is to wait on trying to learn graphics, sound, keyboard/mouse handling and just learn how to create, manipulate and display data.

Are you familiar with Linux or any flavor or Unix?
Johnny
--------
frawsty

Postby qwas » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:03 am

No, Used Microsoft since I started on computers

qwas

PreviousNext

Return to Programming