[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Free game maker

Free game maker

Anything to do with programming games...

Free game maker

Postby bien53@aol.com » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:11 pm

Do any of you know of any way to make games for free?
bien53@aol.com

Postby Legacy » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:37 pm

Yes, learn C++ or a free version of BASIC and get a freeware compiler.
Legacy

Postby OrigamiGuy » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:05 pm

A great open-source freeware utility is Bloodshed Dev-C++. Learning C is a lot easier with an IDE.

There are a lot of shareware/commercial programs out there, like Game Maker and such, but unless you want to create a very specific type of game (Adventure Game Studio is great for Sierra/Lucasarts-style games, but not much else) then don't bother with those. It's far better to learn a language, so you can then program almost ANY kind of game, and it'll be higher quality than anything the pre-made game software can produce. It's like the difference between frozen dinners and home-cooked meals.
"Stupid people exist to give smart people something fun to do." ~Me
"Those who can constantly quote others aren't necessarily well-read. Maybe they simply have no ideas of their own." ~Me
OrigamiGuy

Postby Old Man Johnson » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:44 am

Frozen dinners are pretty good sometimes, though.
My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:33 am

I agree. And some really good games have come out of the pre-made game editors: Tierra Games has remade King's Quest I and Quest For Glory II in the new point-and-click format of KQ5. They're excellent. And free.

<off topic> Whatever happened to good old adventure games, anyway? </off topic>

Postby Reidan » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:34 pm

Reidan

Postby Old Man Johnson » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:16 am

Wow. That sucks.
My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby Quitch » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:53 pm

Quitch

Postby guest » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:46 pm

Postby qwas » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:28 am

Game Maker 6.0, since fav. gone, cant tell you the address :lol:

It was to make simple games WITHOUT proggraming
Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2
qwas

Postby frawsty » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:32 pm

woah check out the activity on the message board! looks like that program is a good short cut to making games without having to do any programming
Johnny
--------
http://www.funkyfreshdesigns.com
Web Dev, Game Dev, Computer Support, Networking and more!
frawsty

Postby guest » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:39 pm

yes the game maker link is one of the best i had

click team is pertty good too and they have a way to make
network games thats pertty much click and paste into your
game....and you have multiplayer...tada!

clickteam has 2 version one is klik and play
the other is gamesfactory...i think klk n play is free now...

Postby frawsty » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:42 pm

I'm glad I didn't see this a few weeks ago or I would have taken the shortcut. I'm focusing in DirectX game programming so I can move into real 3d and shading.
Johnny
--------
frawsty

Postby Quitch » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:24 pm

Anyone ever use the programs Klick & Play and Games Factory? Ah, those were the days...
Quitch

Postby frawsty » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:07 pm

Check this out! Game Programming University online looks free too.

http://www.gameuniv.net/
Johnny
--------
frawsty

Next

Return to Programming