Free game maker

Anything to do with programming games...
Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:22 pm

I got another question Frawsty... how did you get the message to pop up "Press F1 for help" and the help page to appear :roll: ? Man, you're good :D !

P.S. Do you use Dreamweaver? It is an excellent web design tool! My favorite part about it is that it color codes your HTML code. Never lose track of were things are again 8) !
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

Darren

Post by Darren » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:46 am

P.S. Do you use Dreamweaver? It is an excellent web design tool! My favorite part about it is that it color codes your HTML code. Never lose track of were things are again 8) !
Dreamweaver makes me mad, there are to many auto competes that screw things up, and it allways tends to add extra uneeded crap to all your files. give me vi, notepad, wordpad anyday!!

for all my editing needs I use notepad++ ( http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net ). You can customize all the highlighting, and many other things, it also has tabs (like firefox :D )

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:28 pm

Dreamweaver makes me mad, there are to many auto competes that screw things up, and it allways tends to add extra uneeded crap to all your files. give me vi, notepad, wordpad anyday!!

for all my editing needs I use notepad++ ( http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net ). You can customize all the highlighting, and many other things, it also has tabs (like firefox :D )
I have to agree that almost nothing can beat notepad! It eliminates all that clutter and leaves me with an open mind 8) !

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:55 pm

Yeah, I use Notepad.

frawsty

Post by frawsty » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:36 am

Fighter_Ace wrote:I got another question Frawsty... how did you get the message to pop up "Press F1 for help" and the help page to appear :roll: ? Man, you're good :D !

I use Dreamweaver MX for the more graphically intensive pages. I have the autoformatting and changes OFF. Otherwise, when you open a file it goes through it and reformats, adds stuff and drives me nuts. I use MS Visual Interdev for the programming intensive pages.

I just recently started using DW MX because I found out you can turn off that auto complete stuff, that was really annoying to me a few years ago when I tried it. Most web dev job listings mention DW MX so I figured I better get comfortable with it. It's a great tool though, I switch between graphical view and text constantly.

F1 popup: In the creation event of the clown head object I had it "Execute a piece of code" (look in the Control tab)

Code: Select all

string_info = string("Press F1 for instructions")
show_message(string_info)
I am going to figure out how to have that intro graphic stay up longer too. I'm guessing it's in the GML.

BTW I've been learning GDI in Visual C++ too hehe AND I got this sweet book on learning how to draw Manga characters...anime stuff. It's great! Again thanks for the inspiration Sean, after five years I'm back on track to making games! This stuff is great!
Johnny
--------
http://www.funkyfreshdesigns.com
Web Dev, Game Dev, Computer Support, Networking and more!

OrigamiGuy

Better program

Post by OrigamiGuy » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:16 pm

Sean O'Connor wrote:Yeah, I use Notepad.
I use Editpad Lite. It's free.

Editpad is like Notepad + Wordpad + MSEDIT. You can open multiple files in a tabbed environment, and it doesn't have the size limitations of Notepad or the translation problems of Wordpad. You can change the backgrounds and text colors, too. (I use light grey with black text: easier on the eyes.)

Try it. It's free, and you'll never go back to Notepad's nasty separate windows again.

http://www.editpadpro.com/editpadlite.html
"Stupid people exist to give smart people something fun to do." ~Me
"Those who can constantly quote others aren't necessarily well-read. Maybe they simply have no ideas of their own." ~Me

Fighter_Ace

Post by Fighter_Ace » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:04 am

frawsty wrote:
I use Dreamweaver MX for the more graphically intensive pages. I have the autoformatting and changes OFF. Otherwise, when you open a file it goes through it and reformats, adds stuff and drives me nuts. I use MS Visual Interdev for the programming intensive pages.

I just recently started using DW MX because I found out you can turn off that auto complete stuff, that was really annoying to me a few years ago when I tried it. Most web dev job listings mention DW MX so I figured I better get comfortable with it. It's a great tool though, I switch between graphical view and text constantly.

F1 popup: In the creation event of the clown head object I had it "Execute a piece of code" (look in the Control tab)

Code: Select all

string_info = string("Press F1 for instructions")
show_message(string_info)
I am going to figure out how to have that intro graphic stay up longer too. I'm guessing it's in the GML.

BTW I've been learning GDI in Visual C++ too hehe AND I got this sweet book on learning how to draw Manga characters...anime stuff. It's great! Again thanks for the inspiration Sean, after five years I'm back on track to making games! This stuff is great!
Lol! I actually started wanting to draw anime after playing a simple game called charred dirt! It also sparked a want to program :D . This forum has really fired me up, also. One thing I LOVE about this forum is I can actually discuss things without 100 people debating other things too :shock: ... in other words, I like it a bit more toned down instead of a very popular forum :x !

P.S. If you draw anything... could you possibly let me see it :P ? I'm not that good at it and would love to see other peoples work :wink: ! Oh, and thanks for the code!

frawsty

Post by frawsty » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:34 am

i went through the first 4 chapters and got the body basics...not into the detail yet but i got some skills and drew a few pics of some photos. i even drew a pretty good copy of Vida!

i couldnt find the full pic but its hot :)
Johnny
--------

Post by guest » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:43 am

frawsty wrote:i went through the first 4 chapters and got the body basics...not into the detail yet but i got some skills and drew a few pics of some photos. i even drew a pretty good copy of Vida!

i couldnt find the full pic but its hot :)
holy molly batman

frawsty

Post by frawsty » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:06 am

ya shes pretty hot

Johnny
--------

frawsty

Post by frawsty » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:43 am

guess my pics got blocked haha

anyway another bonus to learning Game Maker, it visually teaches you about Object Inheritance and Polymorphism with the Parent/Child feature of the game objects. Very nice.
Johnny
--------

sid6.7

Post by sid6.7 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:03 am

frawsty wrote:guess my pics got blocked haha

anyway another bonus to learning Game Maker, it visually teaches you about Object Inheritance and Polymorphism with the Parent/Child feature of the game objects. Very nice.
i look forward to the 2 new games your making, good luck bud!
check out his site folks, its nice...
if you run..you'll only die tired

Fighter_Ace

Post by Fighter_Ace » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:06 pm

Yeah, right now I'm learning GML. It should show me some basics to beginner programming. I am almost done with my first game! Man, my game is nothing compared to the games people made and posted on the Game Maker forums :shock: !

frawsty

Post by frawsty » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:25 pm

ya but they have had lots of time to learn GM and improve their games. dont worry man. make your first game then improve it.
Johnny
--------

OT sorry

Post by guest » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:47 am

frawsty wrote:ya but they have had lots of time to learn GM and improve their games. dont worry man. make your first game then improve it.
man where did you get that hot lil avatar...its driving me nuts
:(