Page 4 of 5

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:06 am
by Fighter_Ace
frawsty wrote:ya but they have had lots of time to learn GM and improve their games. dont worry man. make your first game then improve it.
Yeah, I am currently learning GML... it is hard. I printed out 117 pages of this stuff, GML help pages! Am I crazy or what?! I guess I just have a big dream of being a programmer!

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:08 am
by Guest
Hi folks. I found this forum yesterday and downloaded game maker already. What I want to learn about it is how to use a turnbased system rather than real time, and also a map that is not just a picture, but a grid of either hexagons or squares. I can do my own graphics(I've used paintbrush since I was 4), and have also used VB and Klick and Play now and then. I want to make games kind of like MOAB and Slay, since Ive done that a lot with homemade boardgames.

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:06 pm
by frawsty
read the tutorials, guest. its all their.

GML is pretty easy, I had some advanced stuff i was trying to do that i couldnt in the GUI so i looked it up. its just like c++.

check out my new game: Crypt Robber
http://www.funkyfreshdesigns.com/forum/ ... um.php?f=7

It's a work in progress but playable. At this writing it has only one crypt with 7 levels...each gets tougher. now im working on making other crypts and a hidden "ancient crypt" or a pyramid. anyway its getting better everyday!

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:39 pm
by guest
Fighter_Ace wrote:
frawsty wrote:ya but they have had lots of time to learn GM and improve their games. dont worry man. make your first game then improve it.
Yeah, I am currently learning GML... it is hard. I printed out 117 pages of this stuff, GML help pages! Am I crazy or what?! I guess I just have a big dream of being a programmer!

heheheh i started printing this moster then reliezed it was
HUGE so stopped...

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:30 pm
by frawsty
dont worry about the manual. follow the tutorials to get yourself going. think of the manual as a reference for when you get more advanced. ive only just looked at it a couple of times this weekend. for the most part i havent needed it.

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:28 pm
by guest
frawsty wrote:read the tutorials, guest. its all their.

GML is pretty easy, I had some advanced stuff i was trying to do that i couldnt in the GUI so i looked it up. its just like c++.

check out my new game: Crypt Robber
http://www.funkyfreshdesigns.com/forum/ ... um.php?f=7

It's a work in progress but playable. At this writing it has only one crypt with 7 levels...each gets tougher. now im working on making other crypts and a hidden "ancient crypt" or a pyramid. anyway its getting better everyday!
okay it gets stuck on the opening map for me
after i hit space to start the game...

i run a WINXP with 256m ram 64m vidram 30gig hd...

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:36 pm
by frawsty
click the little icon of the crypt and it should take you to the first level. i should put that in the instructions :P

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:48 pm
by guest
frawsty wrote:click the little icon of the crypt and it should take you to the first level. i should put that in the instructions :P
good job it works nice...a little slow on the click the crypt thing?
VERY COOL music..sounds

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:50 am
by Astragali
Quitch wrote:Anyone ever use the programs Klick & Play and Games Factory? Ah, those were the days...
For certain types of games, The Games Factory SUCKED! :( If you wanted to have a large number of buttons (e.g. if you were doing something like Slingo, which needs around 30+ buttons), then the editor would become horribly unstable and crash...

I was really disappointed with TGF considering it was by Francois Lionet, creator of the excellent AMOS Basic...

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:23 pm
by guest
go back and look some more they are really creating
some nice games...even networkable....

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:31 am
by Old Man Johnson
I was frustrated by Games Factory because I was bad at programming. So I didn't understnad anything. Now I can't find my activation code and my new computer doesn't have GF installed (and I'm too lazy to go find it). Sigh. Oh well, at least I have Visual Basic.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:50 am
by Legacy
You use VB OMJ?

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:07 am
by sid6.7
Old Man Johnson wrote:I was frustrated by Games Factory because I was bad at programming. So I didn't understnad anything. Now I can't find my activation code and my new computer doesn't have GF installed (and I'm too lazy to go find it). Sigh. Oh well, at least I have Visual Basic.
just email them they will give you another code or your old code...

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:17 am
by Old Man Johnson
Oh.... :oops:

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:20 am
by sharon_2005
Nice avatar frawsty :)