[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Different Programing Languages

Different Programing Languages

Anything to do with programming games...

Different Programing Languages

Postby Fighter_Ace » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:38 pm

Fighter_Ace

Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Postby Bob Janova » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:15 pm

Java is a good place to start.

C and C++ are kind of hard, but hardcore programmers will tell you they let you write faster, smaller programs.

C# is very good at what it does, similar to Java in language terms and has a good library, but there are some things you can't do (low level I/O, pointer tricks). Your programs will be really small, but require the .Net Framework to run (it's shipped with modern versions of XP, older users will have to download it from the MS website).

Delphi is a good compromise for basic Windows programming, letting you do the stuff C++ does but making some of the dirtier tricks harder, and helping you out more with housekeeping.

VB is supposed to be a good prototyping language (rapid development but slow programs), but I've never used it.

Vector languages like APL (more info at , the journal of said languages) are excellent for certain array processing tasks, but aren't great for making GUIs and things. (I have a bit of a vested interest, in that the journal is typeset in my house!)
Bob Janova

Postby Fighter_Ace » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:33 pm

Thanks for the broad selection, Bob! That's just what I wanted :) ! Also, do you happen to recommend any great books or sites? I wish I could just "jump in the pilot's seat" but I know it isn't that easy :cry: .
Fighter_Ace

Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Postby Bob Janova » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:13 am

Hmm, I never had a great deal of luck with books, although if you want to have a go at C (not C++) I'd recommend the original and best The C Programming Language by Kernigan and Ritchie. For C#, there is a book by B. Gunnarson or someone like that which is really good.

I've recently signed up at , where there are lots of helpful people. It's a community for game devlopers, not general programmers exactly, but people there will help you with whatever. There's quite a strong C++ bias over there, though.
Bob Janova

Postby BoxZone_Author » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:05 am

"The C Programming Language by Kernigan and Ritchie"
Gets my vote too. Image
BoxZone_Author

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:11 am

there are lots of languages hard to choose and some my appeal to
you some might not...

qbasic
pascal
cobol
fortran
visual basic
many kinds of "C"

50 other "basics"

the most commonly used anymore is C or a variation of it

Postby Fighter_Ace » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:34 am

Fighter_Ace

Postby n-drx » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:49 am

n-drx

Postby Fighter_Ace » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:00 am

Fighter_Ace

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:01 pm

Postby n-drx » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:04 pm

n-drx

Postby Fighter_Ace » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:11 pm

Thanks n-drx! I never knew they had free software downloads. That's awesome! I also have "Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0". A friend of mine gave it to me as a gift yet I have also never used it :lol: ! I suppose I am a tad bit scared to use it. It not only out-powers anything I have ever used, but also takes a crap load of HD space... of which blows the capacity on my work computer. I am going to go download MS Visual Basic from the site. You made it sound too good 8) !

EDIT: Changed "new" to "knew". Stupid me :oops: !
Last edited by Fighter_Ace on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fighter_Ace

Postby n-drx » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:04 pm

n-drx

Postby Fighter_Ace » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:13 pm

Wow! *Googles "Resource Hacker"* Sweet! *Clicks "download"* ...And it is all freeware! This look like a dandy little gem here! *High fives n-drx* I can see this coming in handy to check if .exe files are frauds 8) ! It really tics me of when I self-inflict a virus or spyware :x !

Side Note:

Lol! I need to remember to re-read what I type to make sure I don't leave typos lying around! Heh, I read the quote you posted. Oops!
Fighter_Ace

Postby n-drx » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:26 pm

n-drx

Next

Return to Programming