Different Programing Languages

Anything to do with programming games...
Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Different Programing Languages

Post by Fighter_Ace » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:38 pm

So far, I am only familiar with Java, C, C+, and C++. What are all the available languages to choose from? I would love to program but need a little help on which one to start with and what software I need to have to write it. Hey, I know I came to the right place 8) ! You guys seem pretty brilliant :) !
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

Bob Janova

Post by Bob Janova » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:15 pm

Java is a good place to start.

C and C++ are kind of hard, but hardcore programmers will tell you they let you write faster, smaller programs.

C# is very good at what it does, similar to Java in language terms and has a good library, but there are some things you can't do (low level I/O, pointer tricks). Your programs will be really small, but require the .Net Framework to run (it's shipped with modern versions of XP, older users will have to download it from the MS website).

Delphi is a good compromise for basic Windows programming, letting you do the stuff C++ does but making some of the dirtier tricks harder, and helping you out more with housekeeping.

VB is supposed to be a good prototyping language (rapid development but slow programs), but I've never used it.

Vector languages like APL (more info at Vector, the journal of said languages) are excellent for certain array processing tasks, but aren't great for making GUIs and things. (I have a bit of a vested interest, in that the journal is typeset in my house!)

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:33 pm

Thanks for the broad selection, Bob! That's just what I wanted :) ! Also, do you happen to recommend any great books or sites? I wish I could just "jump in the pilot's seat" but I know it isn't that easy :cry: .

Bob Janova

Post by Bob Janova » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:13 am

Hmm, I never had a great deal of luck with books, although if you want to have a go at C (not C++) I'd recommend the original and best The C Programming Language by Kernigan and Ritchie. For C#, there is a book by B. Gunnarson or someone like that which is really good.

I've recently signed up at Gamedev.net, where there are lots of helpful people. It's a community for game devlopers, not general programmers exactly, but people there will help you with whatever. There's quite a strong C++ bias over there, though.

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:05 am

"The C Programming Language by Kernigan and Ritchie"
Gets my vote too. Image

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:11 am

there are lots of languages hard to choose and some my appeal to
you some might not...

qbasic
pascal
cobol
fortran
visual basic
many kinds of "C"

50 other "basics"

the most commonly used anymore is C or a variation of it

Fighter_Ace

Post by Fighter_Ace » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:34 am

Thanks you guys! This outta get me off to a flying start! (Man, I must be in love with aviation! Lol!) If I got any other questions, I know where to go first :wink: !

BTW "guest", thanks for the other language references!

n-drx

Post by n-drx » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:49 am

Java and C are both a good place to start. Yet, if programming is not going to be the main activity in your life, you could consider to write in Visual Basic, which is really easy compared to any other language!

As regards the software you need to write programs, there are many free compilers for C and Java; to write in Visual Basic, instead, you need Microsoft Visual Basic, though you can start to write some VB code in the embedded VBA editor that comes with many applications of the MS Office suite.

Fighter_Ace

Post by Fighter_Ace » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:00 am

Heh, I noticed that with MS Word. I never got the hang of how it worked though. I checked out MS C++ and their programming software rates. Those sure are wallet chippers :shock: ! With the dough required to get that stuff, it better be easy :lol: !

So far I have only worked with Bloodshed C++ Compiler. It is pretty decant for free stuff! I made a few simple things with it. It got me hooked on programming... and so did you guys! Lol! At first I pictured programming to be like HTML. I sure got wise fast :roll: ! I really respect you guys for all your hard work and dedication! Very!

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:01 pm

Fighter_Ace wrote:Heh, I noticed that with MS Word. I never got the hang of how it worked though.

VBA is very useful; I remember time ago, when using Ms Excel 2000, I coded my own buttons to achieve subscript/superscript like the ones in Ms Word (I never understood why Microsoft did place them in Word and not in Excel! :x).

Fighter_Ace wrote:I checked out MS C++ and their programming software rates. Those sure are wallet chippers :shock: ! With the dough required to get that stuff, it better be easy :lol: !

Yet Microsoft has recently released some free versions of its programming tools, called "Express Editions".
Go here to read more:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express
Should you have a fast connection I suggest you to download the CD images (.iso/.img) from here, to directly burn the Visual Studio CDs:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/support/install
I've just started the download of Visual C++, since it seems definitely more easy to use than Visual C++ 6.0 (which I own, and never used! :lol:).

Fighter_Ace wrote:So far I have only worked with Bloodshed C++ Compiler. It is pretty decant for free stuff!

Years ago I tried Bloodshed Dev-Pascal, their software it's pretty good. :wink:

n-drx

Post by n-drx » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:04 pm

That was me - I was sure I had logged in! :?

Fighter_Ace

Post by Fighter_Ace » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:11 pm

Thanks n-drx! I never knew they had free software downloads. That's awesome! I also have "Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0". A friend of mine gave it to me as a gift yet I have also never used it :lol: ! I suppose I am a tad bit scared to use it. It not only out-powers anything I have ever used, but also takes a crap load of HD space... of which blows the capacity on my work computer. I am going to go download MS Visual Basic from the site. You made it sound too good 8) !

EDIT: Changed "new" to "knew". Stupid me :oops: !
Last edited by Fighter_Ace on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

n-drx

Post by n-drx » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:04 pm

Neither did I, and I myself found it unusual! :shock: Yet, the free license has 1-year duration... :(

Fighter_Ace wrote:I also have "Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0". A friend of mine gave it to me as a gift yet I have also never used it :lol: ! I suppose I am a tad bit scared to use it. It not only out-powers anything I have ever used, but also takes a crap load of HD space... of which blows the capacity on my work computer.

I've never had a clear idea of how MS VC++ does work :lol:! I had always used it only to view the resources of exe files (and only until I started using "Resource Hacker", which is way better and useful! :D)... without even writing a single line of code! :wink:

Fighter_Ace

Post by Fighter_Ace » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:13 pm

Wow! *Googles "Resource Hacker"* Sweet! *Clicks "download"* ...And it is all freeware! This look like a dandy little gem here! *High fives n-drx* I can see this coming in handy to check if .exe files are frauds 8) ! It really tics me of when I self-inflict a virus or spyware :x !

Side Note:

Lol! I need to remember to re-read what I type to make sure I don't leave typos lying around! Heh, I read the quote you posted. Oops!

n-drx

Post by n-drx » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:26 pm

Fighter_Ace wrote:Wow! *Googles "Resource Hacker"* Sweet! *Clicks "download"* ...And it is all freeware! This look like a dandy little gem here! *High fives n-drx* I can see this coming in handy to check if .exe files are frauds 8) ! It really tics me of when I self-inflict a virus or spyware :x !

It's a nice utility that comes handy many times! 8) Too bad it's no longer being developed! :(

Fighter_Ace wrote:Side Note:

Lol! I need to remember to re-read what I type to make sure I don't leave typos lying around! Heh, I read the quote you posted. Oops!

I always spend more time checking my posts than writing them (:lol:), trying to make them perfect... but sometimes errors slip through! :roll: