Different Programing Languages

Anything to do with programming games...
OGRE

Post by OGRE » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:00 pm

If you have any plans on distributing your programs, I would recommend adopting a language that can create standalone EXEs.

I don't do much programming myself, but on what little I have done the installation process on a quality product can be a royal pain. Relying on "runtime" libraries that other programs might rely on, or delete, or change always tends to come back and bite you. This is especially true if targeting an audience on multiple generation of operating systems.

I've also discovered that to become a really good VB programmer on complex programs, you pretty much have to know C or C++. That's not to say you can't produce VB products without the knowledge. All I know is I never learned C or C++, and my biggest stumbling block to building solid VB programs was my lack of C. Yeah, it doesn't make sense, but it's true.

I'm looking at Realbasic right now. Haven't bought it yet. But it looks like a good competitor to VB. My gut tells me it will also require I know C or C++ to really use it well. We will see.