My perspective

A card game full of devious twists and turns
axel

My perspective

Post by axel » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:38 pm

Hi Sean,

After playing the demo I'd say this:

1. I love the smileys! They should update after each card is played, however. I find myself looking over to see their reaction to being trumped or winning a hand they expected to lose, but their reaction often doesn't change until it's their turn.

(Wish list: There would be 12 different smileys that are selected randomly for each game. All would have different names and colors and different personalities. Statements come from a lists of high confidence, low confidence and neutral statements, such as "Ha ha!", "Yeah", "Tee hee", "Hmmph", "Uh, huh", "Aarghh!", "I don't believe it.", and "Crap!". Actually, each player could have its unique way of saying "Yeah!", "Hmmph" and "No!", and even have sound files for them! See how effortlessly I assign work to you! It's so easy!) :)

2. I played three times before I realized it was repeating the same hands. So you might want to take anything I say with a grain of salt.

3. Instead of having the user change backgrounds via a menu option, just put a small "Background" button (or "BG") on each of the two fields that changes the backgrounds to the next one in the directory. Otherwise to see all of them you have to do the whole menu process with each one.

4. Instead of defining the trumps in advance, how about turning over the top card each hand and using that suit; i.e. random. Or having that as an option. For added realism the card (miniaturized) stays up in the corner and is not available in play. That way, if it's an ace, then you know the ace of trump is not in play and you can plan accordingly.

5. I LOVE the score chart on the bottom. If you do make each player a different color, the color of the number could be matched.

I'm picking nits, but really, it's a great game. Simple and fun. Thanks for doing it.

collier

Post by collier » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:33 pm

4. Instead of defining the trumps in advance, how about turning over the top card each hand and using that suit; i.e. random. Or having that as an option. For added realism the card (miniaturized) stays up in the corner and is not available in play. That way, if it's an ace, then you know the ace of trump is not in play and you can plan accordingly.

I like this idea a lot.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:03 pm

In version 1.2 there is now a "random" game type so you get a random trump and a random number of cards.