[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Capture The Flag

Capture The Flag

Capture your opponent's flag before he gets yours

Capture The Flag

Postby Sean OConnor » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:17 pm

Here's the game that I'm working on right now:

It's my first attempt at writing a game using isometric graphics. The game will be quite simple - you move your team of 8 people to try and capture the enemy's flag carrier before they find yours. My plan is to re-use all the isometric code though to do several other games and maybe some real-time ones too rather than turn based.

At the moment you can move your people about using the nifty path finding routine and you can use the map designer to play around a bit but as the enemy doesn't move yet it's not a playable game at the moment.

I'd love to know what you think though!
Sean OConnor

Postby Greatgraddage » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:33 pm

Looks pretty good. Has potential! Controls for switching between players seems a bit akward though, maybe right clicking on a player could switch to it? I would love to see firefight in isometric!
Greatgraddage

Postby Sean OConnor » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:16 pm

You can left click on a player to select him but I agree it's a bit tricky as you have to click on the tile he is standing on rather than on his image (or the game woul dthink you were trying to move the current man)

I think using a right click to select him might be the solution though!

I'd like to do an isometric WWII game - maybe a city based game like a big map of Stalingrad? The problem will be if I can get hold of some good graphics though.
Sean OConnor

Postby Greatgraddage » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:44 pm

Ah, that was the mistake I was making. Mind not working in 3d :D.

A city based WW2 game would be superb, urban areas is the main thing Firefight really lacks. Looking in off topic there seems plenty of artistic talent in this forum! I'm sure someone could help with graphics.

I plan on having a better play around with the map editor soon, though it seems pretty easy and intuitive. Looking good!
Greatgraddage

Postby Andy Brown » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:04 am

A <next player> hotkey would be useful, as well as A-H hotkey player selection.

How is the capturing going to work?

Andy
Andy Brown

Postby Sean OConnor » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:17 pm

Sean OConnor

Postby sid6.7 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:14 pm

sid6.7

Postby Acebrock » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:04 am

Acebrock

Postby Sean OConnor » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:10 am

I'm thinking now of sticking quite closely to the original DOS game and making it so that you are vulnerable if you are in the enemy's half of the map.

It just didn't give you a sense of achievement when you attacked an enemy and you both became unconscious for 10 turns. Now it gives you a buzz to find an enemy man in your half and you ambush him and send him back home.
Sean OConnor

Postby BoxZone_Author » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:39 am

Sean, you could have strong players move more slowly but prohibit strong players from being within a certain distance of their own flag (or make them act as weak if they are), thus forcing them to spread out and take up defensive positions away from the flag.

Units that are 'knocked out' should have to return to their own flag (perhaps automatically to avoid the tedium) to be re-energised and returned to the game.

It would also be good if a strong player suffered 'damage' somehow when it took out a weak player so it can't just mop up all the weaker players.
BoxZone_Author

Postby pedroski » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:46 pm

I think the enemy half of map is the best. Thats the way you play in real life too.
pedroski

Postby Sean OConnor » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:50 pm

I agree. The only problem I have is making some way of stopping people from just leaving a couple of defenders right next to their flag to protect it.

I'm thinking of making an area around the flag that defenders are not allowed to go in.
Sean OConnor

Postby rich12545 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:47 pm

This looks similar to a dos game I used to have with the same name. Dev's name was Carr or something like that. Always liked it but somehow over the years it got misplaced. It lacked elevations, a random map generator and I would have like a few rules changed but don't remember which. Anyway, this looks promising.
rich12545

Looks good

Postby HeyYouSir » Fri May 04, 2007 3:04 am

I was wondering what you were up to these days and was happy to see your latest project!

I will have to check it out. Looks interesting. I remember the Capture the Flag game from Carr Software as well. I played that game quite a bit over the years. I still have it and it runs just fine on my pc even today! :D
HeyYouSir

Postby BoxZone_Author » Thu May 24, 2007 5:11 am

BoxZone_Author

Next

Return to Capture The Flag