interesting experience with Genie map

Conquer the island

interesting experience with Genie map

Postby rhaining » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:29 pm

I had a strange experience with the Genie map. It was a long time ago (1-2 years) but I still remember it pretty well because it was such a unique way to solve a map. It took me 47 turns (full conquer, not surrender). Since no one on this forum has asked questions about this map, I assume most people found it pretty easy, and maybe if I replayed it, I would find a different strategy and it would seem like a pretty trivial map. But it certainly wasn't trivial for me at the time.

I was unable to keep my territories in the middle alive. My territory in the N (head) was pretty safe but also strongly hemmed in so hard to expand from. My territory in the S (legs) was the most viable, but here I ran into an uncommon problem. I made a L2 spearman fairly quickly to try to expand S to conquer the entire "leg" peninsula, but I was constantly battling trees -- palm trees, not firs. The leg peninsula is so thin that palm trees can spread like wildfire if not kept in check immediately. Also, some AI player or another was constantly gaining the upper hand in the center (body) and threatening to come down to the leg peninsula and wipe me out. So for maybe ~25 turns, I was barely scraping by in the S leg peninsula, either slowing down an invading horde from the center body area until that horde could be starved by someone else in the center, or staving off encroachment from the S tip of the leg peninsula, or cleaning up the palm trees before they threatened to overrun my territory completely. I must have survived 3+ cycles of this before finally, finally getting enough cash to buy a castle to secure one side of my leg peninsula foothold. I'm a little hazy on the next party but IIRC I put the castle at the N end of the leg and drove S with a L3 knight. In any case, the other thing I remember clearly is that, by the time I was able to turn my attention to driving N from the leg into the body, the body was basically wall-to-wall castles. Lots of twisty, strangely-shaped territories interweaving, not one single winner. Just a mass of castles that had to be cut down slowly (as I couldn't afford a ton of L3 knights yet). By this point, the N head area was also basically entirely castles, and IIRC I finally had enough cash to make a L3 knight up there and start finally making progress.

47 turns. Not my weakest win, but very close. I wonder if, after beating lots of maps and getting into "prime Slay shape", I could go back and chop my worst win scores in half. (S Georgia: 64. Plus: 61. Kylie: 53. Those are all full victory times, not surrender times. I'm sure others have much faster win times. But I still have plenty of other maps to finish still.
rhaining

Re: interesting experience with Genie map

Postby Bradyj23 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:10 am

How on earth do you keep your Northern Territory alive? Both my middle and Northern Territory get killed right away by green. Within about 4-5 turns by dark green. Thanks.

Oh and any help on the south would be helpful. The trees and L2 wipe me out.
Bradyj23

Postby Bradyj23 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:29 am

Well right after posting I beat it in 35 turns. No surrender. Only with the southern base. The north got wiped out pretty quick. Put a castle to the right of my hut fairly early (turn 5ish) and killed the trees. The hut/castle protected my southern flank and worked north. Glad to finish that map.
Bradyj23

Postby rhaining » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:23 pm

Congrats!

I wish I had screenshots of my playthrough, but it was so painfully difficult that I don't plan to go back and try to re-win any time soon. I still have ~300 maps to solve, most of which should be easy but ~10 of which are giving me real problems.
rhaining

Return to Slay