Island 421 Impossible

Conquer the island
weadeton

Island 421 Impossible

Post by weadeton » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:12 am

I'm playing on island 421 (very clever) is it possible to beat.
Brown or Yellow always dominates!! :x :(

collier

Post by collier » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:56 pm

Yes, it is possible to beat island #421 on very clever.

The first time I beat it, it took me 23 days (turns). Just now, I went back to try it again, and it took me 24 days to run the board. (I did not accept surrender.) So, those are reasonable targets for you to try to attain. I'm sure darjones will come on here in a few days and tell us he was able to beat the same island in 14 turns or some similarly amazing number of turns. :-)

Join your territories together, build spearmen and knights as soon as you
can afford them, and attack the computer players relentlessly.

Regards,
Mark

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:42 pm

The best I've done on 421 was 17 days no surrender. Its a good one! The plays in the west and south are critical. There is an opening combination that makes your position unbeatable. Its not at all intuitive so you will have to think out of the box to find it.

Fusion

weadeton

Post by weadeton » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:50 pm

where do i concentrate my forces? where should i make the knight 1st, the north or south?

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:11 am

In the extreme west at start you will have a group of 4 hexes joined with $20. Buy 2 men and place them on the only hexes possible. There will be another 2 hex position that can join with the first two men. Don't. Instead, take the hex immediately above that capital blocking #3 (dark green). Just to the east and above will be a 3 hex position. Place that man on his own hex next to the capital. This is important, this man must be on his own hex. Do not take any other territory with him.

In the extreme center south, there is a 2 hex position. Take the hex up and left. In the center will be 2 areas each with $10 and a man can be made to join the 2 areas by taking #4's (yellow) hex. Then make the second man and take the hex up and right so that you cut #5's (green) territory to one isolated hex and the remaining 2 hexes with a capital. Beneath this area is a 3 hex territory. Make a man and take the only hex possible which happens to be #6's (brown). To the right of this position is a 2 hex territory. Make a man and take the tree up and right that belongs to #2.

There will be a few more territories that can make men. You can either position them or just ignore them.

This gets the opening positions right, but the crucial moves come on day 2. Hint, make a spearman and kill #5's capital joining your territories in the center. Make a spearman in the west and kill #3's capitol before he gets set and wipes you out.

Fusion

Bulb

Post by Bulb » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:11 am

I beat it in 19 days on my first try (very clever)... is that good? I didn't think it was all that hard. I just built two medium sized strongholds in the east and west and waited until the right time to join them, using 4 knights.

I'm pretty new at this so feel free to make fun of me for being a rookie.