Slay does not install on the Motorola Q

Conquer the island
MLewis

Slay does not install on the Motorola Q

Post by MLewis » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:56 am

The Motorola Q has an ARM920T PXA27x CPU and is running MS Windows Mobile version 5.0. When I try to install Slay on the phone, it says the program is not designed to run on the device. Is this a known issue? Is the "Q" something that might be supported soon?

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:54 am

The downloaded .exe file is meant to run on your Windows computer while your device is connected. I'll look into getting a more up to date installer program.

MLewis

error message

Post by MLewis » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:56 pm

I connected the phone to my laptop and double-clicked on the installation program. It loaded ActiveSync, copied the file, and popped up a dialog box that says "Please check your mobile device screen to see if additional steps are necessary to complete this installation."

At that point, the error message I got on the phone was:
Installation of Sean O'Connor's PocketSlay.CAB was unsuccesful. The installation file was not intended for this device.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:51 pm

Do you know what processor one of those phones has?

MLewis

Motorola Q CPU

Post by MLewis » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:52 am

See the first entry in the thread. It's an ARM processor, and everything the phone will tell me about the model of the CPU is in the first message.

eden5900

The reason why the Q won't play Slay...

Post by eden5900 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:56 am

hey, saw this message and had to login to put my 2 cents in...

i don't think europe has the Motorola Q, so it's understandable that many don't know it's a Smartphone Windows Mobile 5 device, as opposed to a PocketPC Windows Mobile 5 device.

While the differences are many, (smartphones generally have less features, but in my experience don't crash as much and do the job just fine...), one of the main feature differences is the lack of a touchscreen or stylus, which Slay requires.

IMO, there is nothing being done with the touchscreen and stylus that couldn't be done with the D-Pad and okay/smart buttons. I should note the Motorola is/(was) the first Smartphone with a full keyboard, as preceding ones were more "phones".

Shawn, the Smartphone platform of Windows Mobile 5 is becoming rather large in North America (I'm in Canada), and many users, including myself have missed these games when we made the jump! I'm sure the code would be pretty close to the same, both running on the Windows 5 platform, but I don't know - i'm not a developer!

Just another vote for porting this to the Smartphone line of Windows 5...

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:43 am

OK, thanks for letting me know that!

Microsoft haven't made it easy for us developers. In the old days it was so easy. You'd write the code and hit "build" and it would make .exe files for ARM, SH3 and MIPS processors and you knew the screen would be 240x320 and the device would have a stylus.