I loved the 3.x rules but hates the 4.x what should I do?

Conquer the island
Grodis33

I loved the 3.x rules but hates the 4.x what should I do?

Post by Grodis33 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:59 pm

I bought slay many many years ago, and the file version of the exe is 3,0,0,0. I really love the game, but now when I play on my new computer it consumes all of the cpu resources. I saw on this site that there is a new version, and yes the cpu problem is gone but .... the rules have changed ... It is not the same game anymore. I do really hate the new rules (and the AI is slow, but that is a minor problem) Would it be possible to add an option to run the 4.x version with the old rules? In that case I would buy the game again. If not is there a better version, for example 3.1, 3.2 ... that I could use that does not have the cpu problem?

I would like to be able to play Slay and support Sean for a perfect game, but with the new rules I do not find it fun anymore, and I have stopped recomending it when talking to people .

/ Christian

collier

Post by collier » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:11 am

What rule changes are you referring to? I'm not aware of any major rules changes between 3.x and 4.x.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:31 am

In older versions of Slay you weren't allowed to make any attacks on the first turn in order to give the other players a chance. The problem with this was that it was very boring just placing men on the first turn without being able to do anything more than that and also the 1st player would just hit End Turn straight away as no one could attack him until it was his go again.

To solve the problem I made it so that villages protect the hexagons around them (which wasn't the case before) and that way subsequent players couldn't be completely destroyed on the first turn.

In my opinion it's made a much better game and removed the messing around on the first turn. I've no plans to add an option to revert to the old rules as it would just confuse most people who've never played in the old way.

BTW version 3.1 was the first version to have this rule change (see http://www.windowsgames.co.uk/slayHistory.html) - and really I should have called this a major version update!

Grodis33

Post by Grodis33 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:19 pm

Ok, I guess I will have to stick to the 3.0 version then, and keep my CPU warm.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:34 am

Sorry about that but I want to keep the game with one set of rules only.

DanaeKC

Post by DanaeKC » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:11 am

collier wrote:What rule changes are you referring to? I'm not aware of any major rules changes between 3.x and 4.x.

i wasn't aware of the processing hogging :( and it doesn't matter to me about whether people are protected on the first turn, or if it's total warfare from the beginning LOL that's just more of a challenge. but that sucks about the hogging.

what i miss from the old 3.x version is how when your men died of starvation on your territory, and turned into white crosses, on the very next turn if you're able to relink your territories together, you could take a living man and wipe out those white crosses, as if you were cutting down trees... with the exception that you could do it for as many crosses as you wanted on that reclaimed land! but now, with 4.x, cutting down a cross is the same as cutting down a tree -- once you do it, you're rooted in the spot. no more pre-emptive lawn maintenance. i got way too used to that. oh well. have to employ totally different strategies now.

ah well.. it's still a VERY cool game. i haven't noticed any other major changes.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:32 am

Thanks, but wasn't that a bit boring having to hoover up a load of crosses?!

dc4bs

Post by dc4bs » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:58 am

I've been playing 3.0a for many years... And yes, it made my PC into a space heater, but it was worth it. ;)

The crosses acted like trees in that version. When I placed a guy on one, he stopped jumping and was done for the turn.

After many years of plugging away I finally got a board done in 8 turns just the other night (board 17).

That got me to go look at what Sean had been up to since I bought the game so long ago...

And now I've spent the last few nights playing conquest and niggle... So much for free time (and sleep). ;)

-dc4bs