Stand off games (no possible winner)

Conquer the island
Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:34 am

Leon,

You are just starting to learn the game. I've been playing it off and on for 2 years. 4 or 5 of us got together and played network games to help Sean debug the latest version. Sean even joined in with us a few times. You can see the effect in version 4.2a which now does network games almost flawlessly.

Please don't get discouraged, it takes time to learn the winning strategies. The game is very much fun to play and exercises the mind on several levels in a way very similar to playing chess. Learn to play and win at your own pace.

Fusion

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:19 am

Fusion_power wrote:Leon,

You are just starting to learn the game. I've been playing it off and on for 2 years. 4 or 5 of us got together and played network games to help Sean debug the latest version. Sean even joined in with us a few times. You can see the effect in version 4.2a which now does network games almost flawlessly.

Please don't get discouraged, it takes time to learn the winning strategies. The game is very much fun to play and exercises the mind on several levels in a way very similar to playing chess. Learn to play and win at your own pace.

Fusion

Personally, I agree with fusion. Just have fun with it and go with the flow. After a while, you'll be toasting the computer. I?ve been playing for about 2 years now and the computer seems to be a little dumb after you've played allot. You'll see what I mean when you get into the swing of things :D . No doubt it can be tricky some times, though. Hey, maybe sometime we can get a network game going with all of us and I can teach you a few pointers... or visa versa :P ! Heh heh! Well, later, and happy slaying!

P.S. Thanx fusion for the tips and hints :wink: !
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

highlandsun

Post by highlandsun » Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:49 pm

I've recently gotten hooked on Slay. After reading this thread, I tried island 131, it took me several tries to get a survivable position. It seems that it's impossible for me to starve all of the enemy without also exposing myself to starvation on his next turn. The best I've done so far has been to lose only 1/3rd of my territory on the next turn, and it takes about 15 days for me to force him to surrender. Winning in 8-9 sounds pretty cool, I wonder what I'm doing wrong?

mstlauren

Post by mstlauren » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:20 pm

highlandsun wrote:....... The best I've done so far has been to lose only 1/3rd of my territory on the next turn, and it takes about 15 days for me to force him to surrender. Winning in 8-9 sounds pretty cool, I wonder what I'm doing wrong?

I wonder what I'm doing wrong as well since highlandsun is doing even better than I am :oops:

I agree with Ace, after "playing around" at SLAY off and on for about 1 1/2 years the computer does seem rather dumb. Even still I am unable to win Island 131 head to head on "clever" much less "very clever"

In the past few weeks I have gotten much more serious about SLAY and my play has improved greatly. These boards have helped as well as the friendly competition with my girlfriend to see who win an island the fastest. Still I am amazed that Fusion is able to beat the computer in 8 days playing "very clever" That REALLY makes we wonder what I am doing wrong! I must be missing something or else his IQ is a whole lot higher than 127 :wink:

:arrow: Fusion if I send you an email could you send me the .sly files you sent to Leon?

Richard

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:38 pm

Send a private message with your email address. I'll receive a notification and forward the files to you.

Fusion - who's IQ is above 127 but that has very little to do with playing slay!

Leon

History revisited

Post by Leon » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:38 pm

I was looking at some old posts and came across this one.

It is worthwhile revisiting the past in order to understand the present. This helps to take stock of the way accomplished.

Of course, i now win practically 80% of all challenge games set on very clever, whatever the order of play.

The swiss cheese tactic DOES work ! I am ever so proud of my country's contribution to beat the A.I. thrown at us from across the Channel. (lol)

It's been 2 years already ... how time flies .... Greetings to all,

leon
Intelligence is a tool to fight the forces of evil.

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:15 am

Good to hear from you Leon. Good also to hear that you are winning much more regularly against the AI. May I suggest you try #271 on very clever as a challenge game. I've found it to be a most interesting island with many unusual quirks. My best time so far is 18 days no surrender.

Fusion

Leon

Post by Leon » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:15 pm

Hello Fusion, nice to hear from you too. Here is my story about island 271

I won completely on turn 36

Around turn 27 the computer offered to surrender but it still took me 9 turns more to finish it off. Plaqying more agressively, I think I could have shaved off 3-4 turns in all, certainly not more.

You are correct, this island presents several strong challenges, initially from Yellow, then light green, then dark green which was the last I had to squash. Beige was never any real threat.

Within 3-4 turns I had only 3 territories left. The strongest was south-West. On the east, I could not advance but I had towers and was saving the expense of soldiers. This helped later on when I had to make a junction with my south west stronghold. A similar story with a small territory on the west which I also joined to my south-west around turn 24

I played the island only once, I dont recall playing it before. Frankly, when all is considered, I cannot see how I could have played it differently, apart from being a tiny bit more agressive each turn - after turn 20 in order to finish a few turns earlier, but that's it.

I salute your 18 turns performance ! I am afraid I shall never equal your genius at this game. Blitzkrieg is just not my thing.

Thanks for the challenge and regards,
leon
Intelligence is a tool to fight the forces of evil.