[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Saved Game

Saved Game

Conquer the island

Saved Game

Postby Tater Po » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:36 am

I am trying to move my current install of Slay onto a flash drive but am having trouble keeping my score and save status. Copying and pasting the full Slay program folder keeps some of my scores, but not all of them and moves no saved games.

Copying the HighScores.dat file strangely keeps some of my scores, but not all of them.

Is there a good way to transfer or backup/restore Slay save files?

I'm using Windows 7.
Tater Po

Postby Sean OConnor » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:39 am

I think the problem is down to the way Vista and Windows 7 store user files. On previous versions of Windows it was allowable for a .exe file to write data files within its own folder, say c:\Program Files\Slay. I thought that was the best place as all of the Slay files were kept together and it was easy to copy the whole lot to a new computer.

From Vista onwards that's not the way you're meant to do it. User files are meant to go in your user folder. If the .exe file tries to write to its own folder, Windows will re-direct that to your user folder if the file doesn't exist there already.

I think what you need to do is make sure there's no .dat file or saved games within the game's folder itself (where the .exe file is) and then hopefully Windows 7 will always look in your user folder.
Sean OConnor

Postby Tater Po » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:36 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Sean!

I figured it out. For reference, I found my saved games and HighScores.dat file in
C:\Users\#####\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Sean O'Connor's Windows Games\Slay
Tater Po

Return to Slay