Help with Regy, Please

Conquer the island
jsh

Help with Regy, Please

Post by jsh » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:56 am

I'm down to my last map: Regy. (I don't know what number it is on the Windows version.) It's killing me!

If anybody has any good advice and/or hints to help me beat it, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:35 am

can you post a pic of the map?

DarJones

jsh

Post by jsh » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:24 am

Fusion_power wrote:can you post a pic of the map?

DarJones

Nope. But I just discovered that if I do 'em in "random" order, I can play the maps on different difficulty levels. At least I can make a new goal -- playing the easy levels on a more difficult setting -- while I try to figure out how to beat Regy.

rhaining

Post by rhaining » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:23 am

I also would love some hints and tips on how to beat this map.

I'm not entirely sure how to calculate the map number. I think I read somewhere that you use the secret menu on the iPad to put the maps in "random" order, then calculate the map's location in reading order. If this is correct, then Regy corresponds to map number 344 on Windows.

I've also linked to a screenshot below.

Thanks in advance!

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:13 am

That one is a real beauty. It is indeed #344. The very best I've done is 23 days to win. You have to be a glutton for punishment because it requires deliberately sacrificing a few men along the way. It also requires one very non-intuitive move on the first day which is the key to winning in 23 days vs 30 or more.

The non-intuitive move that leads to a win is in the group of 3 hexes just south and west of the center of the slay window. You must take the pale green hex to the west. This is the only way to get your back to a wall long enough to build a position in the west side of the island. You need that position if you are going to win in a minimum of days.

You also need to make some unusual moves in the east to build out your position and eventually make a knight. Some of the moves have to be extremely risky, you will think a man will get killed but he doesn't.

DarJones

rhaining

Post by rhaining » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:56 pm

I need a bit more of a push, can you be more specific?

In the east, I can usually get established quickly and comfortably. On day 1, I join 2 smaller territories then either build a 2nd L1 unit, or build a castle (spending all remaining 15 cash) in the northern part of this new nation. In following turns, I can usually grow reasonably well, and most of the time, I grow this territory large enough to support a L3 unit (Knight?). But by turn 15-20, a player in the middle is too strong to stop, and I can't effectively manipulate him away from attacking me.

In the west, I've never been able to really establish a foothold. I do what you suggest and (starting from my base just SW of center) I make my first move to the west (the upper of two possible western spots. I then move west as fast as I can, clinging to the southern sea, but the best I can do here is to support a L2 unit or build a castle and soak up some taxes before getting crushed.

Slightly further west, I can definitely gain a small foothold on a thin peninsula. I eventually capture the entire peninsula, and try to push out from it. I once was able to support a L3 unit on this spit, but just barely and not for long. Any time I am able to do so, I grow *outward* from the peninsula, only later returning to crush the tiny colonies at the deep far end of the peninsula. (Perhaps this is a mistake? Perhaps if I let another player come down into this peninsula, I could crush him from behind??)

In 3 other locations, I can barely eke out a living, enough to hold onto a small castle area, or enough to support a L2 unit, but not enough to stop the onslaught from the horde accumulating in the middle. Eventually, all 3 of these outposts are taken as I can't join them to anything.

It seems like the only way to win this game is do intentionaly stupid/dangerous moves and hope to manipulate the AI players into attacking one another. Or, the only way to win is to replay and replay and replay this map 100s of times to try out non-intuitive strategies and hope the AI players don't punish you for doing weird things.

(Note that I've solved every other "R" map and dozens of other Very Hard maps, usually in only 1-3 attempts. But this map feels broken.)

If someone who can solve this map comfortably could post screenshots taken after the 1st 10 turns or so, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

gruff

Post by gruff » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:06 am

The new version could do with some sort of hex grid numbering system like chess has so that we can exchange information more easily.

robotom

Re: Help with Regy, Please

Post by robotom » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:51 pm

jsh wrote:I'm down to my last map: Regy. (I don't know what number it is on the Windows version.) It's killing me!

If anybody has any good advice and/or hints to help me beat it, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

The key to Regy (on the ipad) is your 3 western starting territories. With those alone you can win the map. For optimal victory, you can also combine your eastern territories and win faster (I have been able to beat Regy in 21 turns).

For the west side, just make sure to limit Desert's expansion as much as possible early. You need to use a L2 unit from the southernmost area to combine the two territories closest to each other. For the westernmost area just start cutting trees as efficiently as possible without worrying about the territory grab. The trees will kill you later on if you ignore this.

While this is happening, your territory in the middle is pretty much screwed so I usually use it to cause as much damage to Dirt (light brown) as possible. You can get a L2 unit out and take out the initial dirt town using kamikaze tactics (although the AI for some reason won't cut off and choke this unit). Then hold your ground as long as you can and punish Dirt. This will help you in the later parts of the map.

You don't really need a strong eastern region to win the map, so I'll leave that area up to you :)

Necronomican

I must be broken

Post by Necronomican » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:34 am

I have to say that I have been playing this particular map on my iPhone for about a month and have had no joy. I have been close once or twice but generally I dont last long at all. I too have finished every other map and I feel that this is just broken. I don't think anybody has really finished it but would be thrilled if somebody could give a walkthrough or screenshot or youtube a way to beat it!! PLEASE HELP!!

Slayuser

Post by Slayuser » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:44 pm

Was just looking up this forum after struggling with Regy myself, even it it is more than a year after the original posting. The tip of joining the western territories are key, and their advance is pending how much resistance your eastern troops are giving. I agree that 64 and 371 are harder, but since you can't save in the iPad version, you start from square one every time, making it quite frustrating to have to go again. Anyhow, thought I should post a solution. I only indicated the moves for the first ten rounds, as after that it is freer. If someone has improved options, please post too. :)

iphoneslayer

Post by iphoneslayer » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:46 am

Slayuser wrote:Was just looking up this forum after struggling with Regy myself, even it it is more than a year after the original posting. The tip of joining the western territories are key, and their advance is pending how much resistance your eastern troops are giving. I agree that 64 and 371 are harder, but since you can't save in the iPad version, you start from square one every time, making it quite frustrating to have to go again. Anyhow, thought I should post a solution. I only indicated the moves for the first ten rounds, as after that it is freer. If someone has improved options, please post too. :)

Slayuser -

I'd love to take a close look at your Regy strategy, but there's something wrong with the link in your post. I'd be most grateful if you can repost that information, thanks.

somemonkey

Post by somemonkey » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:09 am

This is the only map I can't beat on very hard. I can't even get anything started to build on. I second the 'it's broken' sentiment.

And the poster who posted that map made it too small to actually see anything.

rhaining

Post by rhaining » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:07 am

I found a solution to Regy, 29 turns for full victory. I was just messing around and expected to lose so I didn't take screenshots.

I didn't end up taking the western light green hex that Fusion_power recommended. Instead, I took the light green hex at the far north of that same territory. I assume Fusion_power's tip is better, though, as it could help merge bases faster.

I did something slightly unusual with a base in the SW. I usually take a palm tree on turn 1 with that base, to prevent the spread of palm trees, but this time, I took a hex as far to the west as I could then on turn 2 I took a fir tree and just left my grunt there for many turns to prevent the spread of palm trees into my territory. Two other players on the tip of that peninsula end up buying castles as I save up money to become a spearman and one day break out. Not sure if this is better than taking the palm tree, just pointing it out in case it matters.

I tried merging my 3 eastern bases early on. Not sure if I managed to merge in the one furthest S before it was destroyed, but I definitely merged the other 2. But overall, I ended up losing all 3 bases well before I could support a knight, around turn ~10. In my S base, I held off yellow/dessert for most of the game but I was never able to grow safely out of that base, and ultimately yellow destroyed it around turn ~17, just a few turns before I might have been able to save it or at least siphon out the cash reserves. 4 bases gone. These bases look the most viable when you start the map, so I assume there must be a way to save them! But maybe by losing them it eased the pressure on the western part of the map.

In any case, it turns out you can win without any of those bases surviving. I migrated all 5 western bases (one of which can't buy a troop on turn 1) towards a common middle. I didn't rush the merge, but once the central player (dark green IIRC) started trouncing everyone around him with multiple knights, I pushed forward and finally merged all 5 into one contiguous western base stitched together by threads. On the next turn, IIRC, I avoided making any knights but instead just shored up the threads connecting the bases and killed off as many smaller bases as I could. By the time the biggest player and I met on my eastern front (his western front), I had a single knight, a few castles shoring up my border (one hex away from the border of course) and plenty of smaller troops. On his next turn he made a major push in my direction, eating up all the remains of another player (not my territory). Enemy troops were swarming in huge numbers right on my border. I made a dangerous move, using 2 knights + 1 spearman to thread my way between his troops, then a bunch more grunts beyond that to encircle the northern half of his army and starve it. He easily countered, but foolishly, he did so by creating a super knight. From there, I did a super long distance starvation attack involving one spearman and 9 grunts, but I managed to starve most of his army and waste 60% of his taxes that turn due to his super knight. He again was able to counter and kill most of my line of grunts via starvation, but by now, trees were starting to grow all over his former territory, and his army was much smaller than it was 2 turns ago. He also didn't have a super knight any more so all the remaining players took chunks of his territory. After this, I could grow more carefully and was in much less danger, and dark green was losing territory on all sides from 3 different players. After dark green, yellow had also become a major player but we were about the same size so I was easily able to take the map.

Regyslayer

Post by Regyslayer » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:15 pm

I DID IT! I've been playing this goddamned game for years and Regy has always been unconquerable. Until now! (side note, this game is actually amazing and has contributed to so many hours of enjoyable playing). Alas, if I kick the bucket tonight, I will go out with a smile on my fuggin' face!!! F you Regy. You cruel, nasty, meanspirited summamabitch! 25 turns. I gotchoooo!

I generally agree with the other comments here - your base of strength starts w that SW area. I left most of the other western bases pretty simple (killing trees or doing nothing but building cash so that when I finally had an opportunity to merge them (maybe around turn 12 or higher), they dumped money into the larger pool). Light brown is a bitch in the middle and dark brown and yellow are bitches in the east. I definitely went after weak spots (light green in the middle) instead of trying to keep the strong guys from getting stronger (my usual strategy). But luck shown down on my ugly bald head today and I fuckin' killed that mother fucker. Suck it Regy. You dirty long haul trucker. Boom. I'm going to go drinking now....

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:35 am

Congratulataions, you have won arguably the most difficult island in Slay. I played it again just to see if I could do better with my current skill level. I easily beat it in 23 days and think I might be able to take it down to 20 or 21. It is TOUGH!