[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Beta version of new Slay ready for testing!

Beta version of new Slay ready for testing!

Conquer the island

slay beta

Postby ripper » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:43 am

i like the new version and the sound effects. Can i trade it for my old game? The slay that i bought a year or more ago wont save the game anymore. Can't figure out whats wrong with it. Any ideas?
ripper

installed on xp sp3 (20 december)

Postby slay_player » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:02 pm

installed and opened up fine.
new look is good, SOUND is fantastic!
i can appreciate a lot of work has gone into the new more animated, and sound anotated movements and animations.
It may be my mouse batteries, but i found character picking up on 'hold and drag' a bit buggy, men wouldnt always pick up? this was less a problem on click to pick up and drop. This related to moving men off the map, not picking up new ones.

UPDATE: i realised that when picking up a character, although the 3d lets the characters upper body 'appear' to be over an adjacent 'square' the 'engine' still only reads the mouse hovering over the TILE the rest is just visual 3d and therefore a click on a 'mans' upper body will not pick the piece up, because the mouse is over another TILE in the 2d perspective.
This means clicks have to be made in 2d, over the TILE or characters feet (lower body) and not visually, clciking on the characters 'majority' or upper half!

Visually, this is a bit confusing for gameplay, and would people assume like i did it was just buggy?
slay_player

update

Postby slay_player » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:57 pm

having had a good play with the new version, then going back to the old, ive found that the 3d is more confusing to play, for reasons stated in previous post. Particularly in certain scenarios where characters 'stack up' by standing on adjacent tiles, above and below each other, it makes picking up difficult.

Carefully comparing the old and new, its easy to see that the character is almost wholy contained within the tile on the old version, but extends half way into an adjacent tile on the new.
The natural instinct is to click on the bulk of the 'character' to move it, not the board tile. This is seamless in the old version, as the character virtually 'is' the tile, but in the new version we have larger characters on smaller tiles (in effect) and people click characters, not tiles...(certainly new players) whereas the programming 'engine' reads tile clicks, not characters....the characters are insignificant, only 'floating' visuals to the engine, you dont click on them, you only appear to!

(to me) the larger and more visual (visible) the character is, the more inclined the player is to click the head or upper body? When the character is more of a blob (in the older version) the player is inclined to hit it dead centre to be sure of clicking it, hence a good 'tile hit' on the old version.

overal space on screen of the map is a consideration for tile size, but you need to make the character sit within the tile as much as possible, so there would be compromises from the current objective which is to get it looking better visually!
you could:

make the tiles bigger
make the men smaller
adjust the perspective angle (higher)
a bit of all three!

hope this is positive feedback and i appreciate its difficult, as the origional is so simple (tho i appreciate the coding skill) yet addictive and engaging, and as always, its the bloody visuals that cock things up and make a programmers life hell
slay_player

Postby mitype2 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:10 am

Hey guys,

I'm a long time fan of slay. I play on a netbook with Ubuntu Linux 11.04 with the latest Wine. I've been fooling with the Beta and I think my biggest problem is I'm having trouble seeing the board. Could you maybe make the maps a little bigger? There is just too much happening on such a small map. I've had to rely on the map in the upper right of the screen to make sure I've made all of my moves. I've tried all the map colors and it's still very difficult for me to see.
mitype2

Postby gruff » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:17 am

Suggestion: make it possible to use the old look in the new version.
gruff

Postby Fusion_power » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:50 am

Sean, beta version quit as of today 2012/01/01
Fusion_power

Postby Sean OConnor » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:50 pm

Sean OConnor

Postby Sean OConnor » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:58 pm

Sean OConnor

Postby Tamanders » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:53 am

Well, I downloaded the beta. Last version I had was 3.2 so it is very different. I played one game, will play it some more later and will give feedback if I find anything I think you should know. Thanks Sean!

edited to correct last version I had

I don't like the new 3D look. Could have something to do with being female and the recognized differences in spatial recognition capabilities between males and females. Could be I am just old and resistant to change. I really don't like having the game tell me possible moves, it feels like it has been dumbed-down.

edited to give feedback on BETA version.
Last edited by Tamanders on Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do what you feel in your heart to be right-for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't. --Eleanor Roosevelt--
Tamanders

Postby Sean OConnor » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:25 pm

beta #13 is up there now.

I've added DirectSound so more than one sound can play at once now. In all previous versions of Slay as soon as a new sound started it had to cut off the currently playing sound. It makes the computer players' turns a bit more noisy now!
Sean OConnor

Postby Fusion_power » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:38 am

Sean, V14, backspace does not undo last move. Could you fix that?

This is a weird one. I had a game going, had made the first day's move, went to the options screen and turned off the show warning on end of turn. I was then prompted was I sure I wanted to restart the game???? I didn't ask to restart the game. I asked to turn off the prompt for end of turn.

I played NEECR all the way through to a win. It was moderately difficult, I won in 23 days. Changes in strategy were required with castles being all important when the enemy can cut you off. As previously noted, there were way too many incidents where an enemy cut me off when there were obvious better moves to have been made. I'm not complaining too much, it is a better game in some ways.

Just a general playability comment, the clutter level is much higher on this version. Is it possible to increase the size of the hexes say by about 20%? Or possibly let the player select the hex size?

Another item I noticed is that the way capitols are established when territories are joined has been changed significantly. This affects the difficulty of each level. The result is that the islands are no longer in ascending order of difficulty. I just played a level that was supposed to be very hard but because of the change, was easily beaten in 20 days.

DarJones
Fusion_power

Postby Fusion_power » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:47 pm

I've had enough time to evaluate the AI in the latest version. This version is much more vulnerable to a Swiss cheese attack. Once you figure out how to avoid being cut off, all you have to do is start chunking up the opponents and you can easily win most islands. This version's greatest flaw is that the AI will preferentially cut off an enemy while not protecting itself from similar attack. This is still a very playable game and does increase the need for castles. The AI could stand a bit more work if you want it to really get difficult.

DarJones
Fusion_power

Postby Wakke » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:49 am

Wakke

Postby Fusion_power » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:46 am

Fusion_power

Postby Sean OConnor » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:06 pm

Sean OConnor

PreviousNext

Return to Slay