An improved editor

Conquer the island
gruff

An improved editor

Post by gruff » Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:04 pm

I was wondering how advanced are the plans for an improved map editor. Thanks Sean!

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:44 pm

What do you consider needs improved?
Other than the ability to move the map after created (so you for example you cnould add more 'up' if you reach the top but haven't reached the bottom) I can't think of anything additional it could do.

gruff

Post by gruff » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:11 pm

Selection of start positions and all hex colors. Basically there is a need for perfectly balanced maps for net play. At the moment you can make a symmetrical shape but the start positions are randomly assigned so someone will have an advantage.

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:10 pm

"perfectly balanced maps"!
How do you achieve these given that someone goes first and someone goes last. Getting a fair balance of this is going to be virtually impossible.

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:30 pm

Gruff is just tired of being beaten because he was the last to move! *G*

I have to agree with him though that better management facilities would be nice for net play. I would very much like to see the ability to select starting positions.

Fusion

Raistlin

Post by Raistlin » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:39 pm

Maybe something like risk.

What about each players choice 5 hex each turn and never more than 2 hex together. and during the last turn no rules about territory that are together... something like that... after that each player must put 2 or 3 trees and after that we begin... I think that can be interesting to try something like that.

Raistlin

gruff

Post by gruff » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:52 pm

Raistlin - Good idea but should be optional, as it would make multiplayer games significantly longer - they're already quite long (1 hour is not unusual for four players).

BoxZone - By "perfectly" I mean "nearly". My first idea is a Chinese checkers style board - a big star of David - with each player starting with say three hexes in the tip of one of the arms. Apart from the starting positions there would be no two-hex territories. Everyone would spend time taking their arm unopposed, so by the time they met in the body of the star they would have pretty equal armies. The beauty of the Chinese checkers board is that it could be tweaked to account for play order - #6 could start with five hexes, #1 with 2, etc.

Fusion - Correct as usual!

Raistlin

Post by Raistlin » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:01 am

I dont think the time to make the map would be long .. in fact the map will be already made ... you have to choose the terrory only... the advantage is the map is not always same ... so it less boring after 10 games.

When you play risk or general ... its not long the time you choose the territory at begining of the game ...can add a timer if you want .. you have 15 sec to place 5 territory or something like that... less time to think is a good thing ... less time to get the perfect starting position hehe

Raistlin

collier

Post by collier » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:04 pm

Don't forget that one of our original reasons for asking for an improved map / island editor was to provide a way to create "scenarios" similar to
the WW II scenario that someone (in Czechoslovakia?) created.

His scenario was saved as a Slay game. He achieved his goal by
drawing a European map, then playing all positions until the various
territories reflected the WW II scenario he wanted. Finally, he "killed"
all the men on all the territories through forced starvation, and saved
the game.

I imagine it was fairly difficult for him to accomplish this, especially
with the "random" starting territories that Slay would have assigned
to his map. I really don't want to think about how much time it must
have taken him.

So, the idea of an enhanced island editor was to enable the map
designer to not only drawn the *shape* of the starting island, but
also to assign each hex to a player / territory, add trees, castles
and men, choose starting positions for each hut, and define how
much money each territory would have to start.

Regards,
Mark

Mistakes

Post by Mistakes » Thu May 26, 2005 8:56 pm

hi, I don't own a full version of slay....i have the demo but I think i'm going to buy the full version but i have a question. I noticed that on all the maps i have the disivantage(I have less hexs) is there any way that the number of hexagons are equal???

collier

Post by collier » Thu May 26, 2005 11:36 pm

When you play a challenge game, you are always the first player and you always start with fewer hexes than the other (computer) players. Don't worry, though. Slay assigns fewer hexes in that case to compensate for the advantages of going first.

When you play a friendly game, your play position (i.e. whether you get to move first or last or somewhere in the middle) is chosen randomly. The number of hexes is assigned (as before) to balance the advantages of going first. So, if you are selected to move last, you (generally) will have more hexes than the other players.

Regards,
Mark Collier