Suggestions for the next version of Slay

Conquer the island
Legacy

Post by Legacy » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:06 pm

Maybe YASO(Yet Another Setup Option) for the host to select?
The code is already developed for the top left, so make that an option, the centering an option, and the random(presumably as easy as the top left to code) an option. Then the slay players could decide how they liked to play it and use it to spice up multiplayer games a bit. Also, I'd like to see the wait screen(or maybe a popup window) for the client players show the settings the host has selected so there is no mystery.

gruff

Post by gruff » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:25 pm

Well Sean's already said that he's going with center hut as the new default, and I think that's best. Top left is not good.

kalfster

Post by kalfster » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:53 pm

just keep my huts away from Mark

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:17 am

tarot wrote:I would suggest that:

If a hut is smashed, the land stays without a hut until the player's next turn. On his next turn, the player chooses where to place the hut in the land (i.e. builds it for no cost). If the player does not rebuild the hut, his land cannot accumulate money from turn to turn (i.e. unspent money in a no-hut land is lost when the player ends his turn; this issues an end-turn warning).

It would be difficult to code the AI to choose a good place to put it's hut. This would make it even easier for the human to defeat the AI as it's something else the human can do better than the AI.

It would also muck up my 'lowest Slay scores' table :)
http://www.btinternet.com/~boxzone/OtherGames/Slay_Rankings.htm

gruff

Post by gruff » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:28 pm

One more suggestion for the new version: in multiplayer games, have an alert sound play when it's your turn.

GMunson

Multiple themes

Post by GMunson » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:07 am

Wouldn't it be cool if different players could use different themed characters? Or even their chosen color. I think that a game about warring nations would be greatly enhanced by allowing different players to look different.

gruff

Post by gruff » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:55 am

That's an interesting idea but in a number of the themes it is difficult to tell which piece is stronger and which weaker. That could give someone using a bad theme an advantage.

sharon_2005

Post by sharon_2005 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:50 am

qwas wrote:OMG THATS BIGGER THAN IVE EVER IMAGINED!!

A lot of people have there screen resolution high like this now..

Here is a screen capture of my desktop and as you can see, Slay looks really small :cry:

Click for a pic of my desktop

qwas

Post by qwas » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:21 pm

Agreed.
Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2

cavemaniac1

Post by cavemaniac1 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:49 pm

A lot of people have there screen resolution high like this now..

Here is a screen capture of my desktop and as you can see, Slay looks really small

Hooo yeah! I've been pleading with Sean for about two years to introduce scaleable Slay - ever since I got my 17" monitor (and it's only 1200x1024 odd, way smaller than your screen). I have to lean in close to the monitor to see the darn board!

As a patch, on really bad days, I alter the screen resolution to make the board bigger, but by deviating from the native resolution of my LCD monitor the graphics get blurred. So. Too small to see, or blurred. What a choice! Also, the icons on my desktop get messed up when I fool around with the resolution.

Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please Sean, can we have scaleable or selectable graphic size for Slay?
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...

Nogusielkt

Post by Nogusielkt » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:36 pm

I hate trees... how about an option to not have them? I don't know how many times I've been defeated just by trees, but it's too many.

gruff

Post by gruff » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:24 pm

Learn to play better.

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:14 pm

Nogusielkt wrote:I hate trees... how about an option to not have them? I don't know how many times I've been defeated just by trees, but it's too many.
Trees can be a weapon as well. I've protected trees with a tower and spread them into my enemies land.
Also an enemy is less likely to attack into trees (as the land is less likely to be tree-free and therefore not worth as much to capture). You can therefore protect a border (sometimes) simply by not cleaning the trees off it.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:18 pm

I just ended up in a 72 day war because of poor tree maintenance, then I turned them on the enemy. I managed to keep a small plain open to keep me in the fight long enough to turn the tide and win.
Last edited by Legacy on Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gruff

Post by gruff » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:58 am

Plant management is no problem for a farmer.