MULTI PLAYER/ONLINE SLAYERS JOIN THIS CHATBOX FOR A GAME !

Conquer the island
kalfster

MULTI PLAYER/ONLINE SLAYERS JOIN THIS CHATBOX FOR A GAME !

Post by kalfster » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:51 pm

Maybe we can connect easy to each other with a chatbox ?

Login here, no registration needed , just pick a name

http://www.superchatbar.com/chat/login.php?chatbox=Slay

cu there
Rolf

kalfster

Post by kalfster » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:11 pm

First games have been played via the chatbox.
Would work great if more people would join once in a while...
Or if Sean would put a link on his site ?

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:06 pm

i just went in there, and no one was there. I agree that it would be great if people used it a lot.

kalfster

Post by kalfster » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:11 am

starting is difficoult...you need a few people who logon once in a while ....
if some would at least logon while they are online it could work

collier

Post by collier » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:01 am

Not that I want to rain on your parade, but I think part of the problem is that we now have at least three different ways of organizing network games. There's this new chatbox, and there's sid6.7's electronic mail
list, and then there is a group of 25 or so people who have been using
Yahoo! Messenger to organize games for at least a couple of years now.

If you're only watching the chatbox, you might not know that there's several people already playing Slay who arranged their game through
Y!M. Having so many different methods of meeting and arranging games simply fragments the Slay community into various camps who aren't aware of each other's existence.

I humbly suggest we pick one approach and "standardize" on it as much as possible so that the community can grow. And, yes, it would help if Sean would put some information about how to hook up with other network players on his web site.

Regards,
Mark

gruff

Post by gruff » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:21 am

Very good point Mark. I think in terms of sheer critical mass, Yahoo Messenger is the way to go. There is ALWAYS someone online there. (Although I recently read that Yahoo got a Chinese journalist jailed by turning over his private email to the govt...but that's another topic.) I encourage everyone interested in multiplayer Slay to get YM, not because it's the best but because it's the one with the most action.

Sean has mentioned that he plans a permanent server for a future version. That will be the perfect solution. Until then, YM is our best bet. I am however open to other proposals.

And if you don't use YM, I understand that there are chat programs that can access all the chat networks through one app - I think one is called GAIM.

kalfster

Post by kalfster » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:00 pm

Hi,

You both have good points but many people maybe already use
MSN, Skype and ICQ (I do) (running, eating recources). One more of these services (Yahoo) is a bit much i think (and I would need to take it just for Slay). The chatbox I am suggesting (try link in first post) needs no registration and you could just be online doing other things and keep it open/active. In the chatbox you can private message someone and a window will pop up on the other side. Well, give it a thought.
And maybe if Sean would put the link on the website it would promote it
for newcommers. I think you could even put on Sean's site who is in the chatbox/logged on (with some bot or something). Anyway, since you say there is a group on Yahoo i just downloaded it (because I wanne play slay ! :) and contacted CME264. Am I right in understanding I can enter some chatbox there ? Or do I need to enter/contact all the players one by one ?

But I will also be in the chatbox regurarly cause I think it's easy.
Please give me your opinion....
Greets
Rolf

collier

Post by collier » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:16 pm

It's true that many people use other chat tools like IQC and MSN. Our Y!M group has definitely encountered a few people who were reluctant to install Y!M because they were already using one of the other tools, though most eventually installed Y!M.

There's no easy solution to that problem, though we Slay players aren't the only ones who suffer from it. Blame the various software companies who developed chat solutions that don't work together. I think the future lies in the direction of applications (like GAIM?) that knit together the IQC, MSN, and Y!M worlds.

Until then, we need something that's practical and easy to use. The electronic mail option isn't practical because it's not real-time (though it has been a good way for some people to make initial contact and exchange Y!M IDs). Your chatbox seems functionally equivalent to Y!M, though it does not seem to me to be as easy to use (and it appears that I have to learn a couple of new languages to understand some of what is going on!).

I appreciate the fact that I can access the chat box with my browser and don't need to install additional software. (Sometimes I think Y!M consumes too many resources and bogs down my system.) On the other hand, one thing I like about Y!M is that it loads automatically when I boot my system, and I can see right away who is logged on and might be available for a game. With the chat box, I fear we'd have fewer games because prospective players would have to remember to go to that web site to see who's available. Most would probably end up doing something else.

To answer your questions about Y!M, you do not need to enter a chat box. Just add the other potential players to the main window. Bold lettering tells you who's logged on and who isn't. If you want to propose a game, you can either open a private channel to one person or create a conference and invite all those who are logged on. We use those private channels or conferences to set up games and distribute the IP address of the server to all players. Once you start a game, Slay has a built-in chat window which can be used for in-game banter.

Regards,
Mark

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:31 am

Just put a link to this chatbox on your desktop, its not that bad. I do wish there was a realy simple one though that had nothing but the names of those logged in and what they are saying.

kalfster

Post by kalfster » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:30 pm

I just read MSN and Yahoo are joining forces so you can enter both networks at once ! Cool !

Me, My tech watch & My tech thoughts
--- Hari K Gottipati's blog
Sunday, September 18, 2005

Yahoo is testing next generation web mail interface...MSN too...MSN joining hands with AOL... Googel talk not surprised many.....Is Google party over?

Yes, there are many indications that the downtime of Google is about to start. This week has seen many exciting announcements and rumors which includes, Yahoo and MSN is testing the next generation web mail interface, Microsoft in talks with AOL. Looks Googles competetitos got energized and re-engineering/designing their products to heat up the portal race. Lets go thruough the details.

Current email market
According to the most recent figures during July from comScore Media Metrix, a research firm:
Yahoo - 63.6 million unique US visitors
AOL - 48.7 million visitors
MSN's Hotmail - 44.4 million
Comcast's Webmail - 5.6 million
Google's Gmail - 5.4 million

GMunson

Online right now

Post by GMunson » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:10 pm

I'm thinking if anyone has it set up to get an email when this thread is updated, then they'll know I'm in the chatbox, and come join up to play... Will it work?

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:57 pm

Munson and i got through some firewall problems and are having some fun right now!

kalfster

Post by kalfster » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:25 am

i am afraid everybody is in yahoo....
sorry, but i have runover to the yahoo side
(more chance of scoring a game)