[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - MULTI PLAYER/ONLINE SLAYERS JOIN THIS CHATBOX FOR A GAME !

MULTI PLAYER/ONLINE SLAYERS JOIN THIS CHATBOX FOR A GAME !

Conquer the island

MULTI PLAYER/ONLINE SLAYERS JOIN THIS CHATBOX FOR A GAME !

Postby kalfster » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:51 pm

kalfster

Postby kalfster » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:11 pm

First games have been played via the chatbox.
Would work great if more people would join once in a while...
Or if Sean would put a link on his site ?
kalfster

Postby Garnier » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:06 pm

i just went in there, and no one was there. I agree that it would be great if people used it a lot.
Garnier

Postby kalfster » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:11 am

starting is difficoult...you need a few people who logon once in a while ....
if some would at least logon while they are online it could work
kalfster

Postby collier » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:01 am

collier

Postby gruff » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:21 am

gruff

Postby kalfster » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:00 pm

kalfster

Postby collier » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:16 pm

It's true that many people use other chat tools like IQC and MSN. Our Y!M group has definitely encountered a few people who were reluctant to install Y!M because they were already using one of the other tools, though most eventually installed Y!M.

There's no easy solution to that problem, though we Slay players aren't the only ones who suffer from it. Blame the various software companies who developed chat solutions that don't work together. I think the future lies in the direction of applications (like GAIM?) that knit together the IQC, MSN, and Y!M worlds.

Until then, we need something that's practical and easy to use. The electronic mail option isn't practical because it's not real-time (though it has been a good way for some people to make initial contact and exchange Y!M IDs). Your chatbox seems functionally equivalent to Y!M, though it does not seem to me to be as easy to use (and it appears that I have to learn a couple of new languages to understand some of what is going on!).

I appreciate the fact that I can access the chat box with my browser and don't need to install additional software. (Sometimes I think Y!M consumes too many resources and bogs down my system.) On the other hand, one thing I like about Y!M is that it loads automatically when I boot my system, and I can see right away who is logged on and might be available for a game. With the chat box, I fear we'd have fewer games because prospective players would have to remember to go to that web site to see who's available. Most would probably end up doing something else.

To answer your questions about Y!M, you do not need to enter a chat box. Just add the other potential players to the main window. Bold lettering tells you who's logged on and who isn't. If you want to propose a game, you can either open a private channel to one person or create a conference and invite all those who are logged on. We use those private channels or conferences to set up games and distribute the IP address of the server to all players. Once you start a game, Slay has a built-in chat window which can be used for in-game banter.

Regards,
Mark
collier

Postby Garnier » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:31 am

Just put a link to this chatbox on your desktop, its not that bad. I do wish there was a realy simple one though that had nothing but the names of those logged in and what they are saying.
Garnier

Postby kalfster » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:30 pm

I just read MSN and Yahoo are joining forces so you can enter both networks at once ! Cool !

Me, My tech watch & My tech thoughts
--- Hari K Gottipati's blog
Sunday, September 18, 2005

Yahoo is testing next generation web mail interface...MSN too...MSN joining hands with AOL... Googel talk not surprised many.....Is Google party over?

Yes, there are many indications that the downtime of Google is about to start. This week has seen many exciting announcements and rumors which includes, Yahoo and MSN is testing the next generation web mail interface, Microsoft in talks with AOL. Looks Googles competetitos got energized and re-engineering/designing their products to heat up the portal race. Lets go thruough the details.

Current email market
According to the most recent figures during July from comScore Media Metrix, a research firm:
Yahoo - 63.6 million unique US visitors
AOL - 48.7 million visitors
MSN's Hotmail - 44.4 million
Comcast's Webmail - 5.6 million
Google's Gmail - 5.4 million
kalfster

Online right now

Postby GMunson » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:10 pm

GMunson

Postby Garnier » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:57 pm

Garnier

Postby kalfster » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:25 am