Page 1 of 1

incorrect number of armies

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:52 am
by Bad_Elmer
OFTEN while playing online, one of us sees more armies on several countries than there actually are. Sometimes it's less, but usually more. This obviously makes it very difficult to play a fair game. I've often not tried taking a player out because they appear to be stronger than they are. Any ideas why this is happening and if anything can fix it? Anyone else have this problem?

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:45 am
by Sean OConnor
I'll look into this. Anyone else come across it? Does it happen when the armies have got very large, say into the hundreds?

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:17 pm
by Bad_Elmer
It happens with small numbers of armies....for instance it looks like there are 15 when there is only 1.

Here's what I THINK might be happening.....

A computer player trades and places his armies. I see these armies but my opponent doesn't. Then when my opponent attacks the computer, the lower number becomes reality. I think that if I attack first, the larger (and true) number becomes reality. I also think, but am not sure, that I (as the host) have always seen the larger amount. As far as I know this has only happened in games with 2 human players.

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:18 pm
by duanemay
Something simlar happened to me yesterday. A friend and I were playing via network, and it stopped responding for a while... I was trying to move armies. I clicked the button a number of times and it didn't respond... soon I had over 300 on one country and a negitive number on the other... This was great since I started with a number in the mid 20s... when I got attacked on the negitive army country an error message poped up... then the game continued... and I wiped out the entire board on the next turn with my 300+ armies....

I have on every network game...

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:03 am
by Tfar Craw
One easy way to repeat is yo start to move units at end of turn then abort.
I play every Tuesday night and always see this issue and other unit count issues. It is easy for us to tell because we are on an IP Voice server.

I can help any way you want to resolve this and other issues. Just let me know.
I can come up with a list of issues if you like.

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:28 pm
by Sean OConnor
I've pretty much re-written the network code now for version 4.0 and given it a good test so hopefully this bug has now been fixed. Send me an email and I'll reply with the latest version.