53 - small - M.O.B. 1
54 - Panel Zone
55 - Messeyeuh
56 - small - M.O.B. 2
57 - Land Bridge Divide
58 - Under the Sea
59 - BIG GREEN
60 - small M.O.B. 3

... 2 older maps Updated for newer Conquest versions ...

24 - Blocking The Way
27 - Tundara

Enjoy !!!

Thanks to B. Scheivenin, Rob Angus, Punjab, GiGi, Tre & Darryl Kerkeslager for creating and adding new maps also !
I'll be playing them all week !

_MIKE_

_CRUSH_

_ map update _

Post by _CRUSH_ » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:45 pm

Wanted to mention that my map (#50 - Kentucky) was toned down a
bit because of the large amount of graphics & colors when added to
Sean's site. If you'd like the original version just email me and I'll gladly
send it out.

Also, my own favorite new map is (#58 - Under the Sea) --- I've played
this one quite a few times from different start posistions & strategies -

Haven't beaten it under 50 moves still! ((settings: very smart against
7 opponents)) Has anyone else tried this map yet, if so, would you like
to see more of this type in the future ?

enjoy,

_MIKE_

JonManning

Post by JonManning » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:11 am

Mike,

I really like the "Under the Sea" map. It's fun to play with individual continents that are spread out in multiple locations, really keeps you on your toes. In fact it was that particular map that I studied to figure out how to get more graphic detail into a territory which came in handy for my own second map. Keep more like that coming :)

My own first two maps should be coming with the next update, and I'll be making more during my vacation next week.

Edit: I just tried "Under the Sea" on Very Clever with 7 computer players. Wow is that hard, I normally only have 3 or 4 computer players and was not prepared for this. I did not end up with my usual pile of armies on a few territories, but ended up going to zero on each and every territory at the end of each turn at the end of the game just to wear out the final enemy and hope they couldn't take enough away to hurt my territory value at the next turn. It only took me 90 turns (ouch) so I guess I need to try it a few more times without drawing attention to myself.
"The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese."

_CRUSH_

_ Under the Sea feedback _

Post by _CRUSH_ » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:50 am

Thanks so much Jon for the feedback and positive comments : )

That was my goal on 'Under the Sea', to create a map which doesn't
allow an average strategy to win (or attempt!)

I'd love to work on some new maps but am leaving for vacation also
this coming week.

I'm looking forward to your new maps Jon! While on vacation I won't
be creating anything new but may find some quiet time to play a new
map - so please feel free to email me your new works.

(Crush_Conquest@Yahoo.com)

Take Care & Thanks Again!

_MIKE_

sid6.7

Re: Dead Link To Map Editor

Post by sid6.7 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:33 pm

RuM wrote:The link to John's map editor is dead. Can someone please post the CME.ZIP file, or email it to me please?

Thanks.
RuM
smetrivia@hotmail.com

wow i wonder what happened to john and cme thats too bad
he did a great service to our map making crew...

i'll snail mail him and see what happened....
if you run..you'll only die tired

Mirage

Post by Mirage » Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:29 pm

Hey, im new here and i wonder if someone that likes making maps would like to make a Sweden-map? I would do it myself if i knew how to do it but now i dont :oops: Anyone interested? :)

sid6.7

map making

Post by sid6.7 » Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:25 am

Mirage wrote:Hey, im new here and i wonder if someone that likes making maps would like to make a Sweden-map? I would do it myself if i knew how to do it but now i dont :oops: Anyone interested? :)

go to the map section there is an explanation of how to do it...

if thats a bit much try the CME(conquest map maker) that john made
for free it makes it very easy...
if you run..you'll only die tired

Nigel

Graphics for maps - help please

Post by Nigel » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:18 am

Hi,

I am new to Conquest, but hooked already. I have started created my first map and would like to add graphics such as in DiMul_Jar, Twin Volcano and Forest Battle.

I was wondering the tools others use to create such graphics or where they have obtained the trees, rocks and other images.

Any help most welcome.

Happy New Year from downunder :)

thanks,

Nigel
(Melbourne, Australia)

JonManning

Re: Graphics for maps - help please

Post by JonManning » Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:36 am

Nigel wrote:Hi,

I am new to Conquest, but hooked already. I have started created my first map and would like to add graphics such as in DiMul_Jar, Twin Volcano and Forest Battle.

I was wondering the tools others use to create such graphics or where they have obtained the trees, rocks and other images.

Any help most welcome.

Happy New Year from downunder :)

thanks,

Nigel
(Melbourne, Australia)

Adobe Photoshop or JASC Paint Shop Pro are good programs for creating what you want. I prefer Photoshop, but the cost is a bit high and the capabilities are serious overkill for what little you actually need to to make nice looking maps. All you really need is a program that can support multiple graphics layers so you can trace an existing real world map when needed, and with additional selection and gradient functions to make it pretty. Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop Elements (entry version of Photoshop) will also do this nicely for a decent price, but I have heard Corel's Photo Paint will do all this too. Just don't use MS Paint unless you want something that looks like it was made by a two year old.

Good luck and happy mapmaking :)
"The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese."

Nigel

Thanks Jon

Post by Nigel » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:22 am

Thanks for the advice Jon, I did some research and just purchased a copy of Paint Shop Pro on eBay so that should keep me busy during the holidays :)

Nigel

JonManning

Re: Thanks Jon

Post by JonManning » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:25 am

Nigel wrote:Thanks for the advice Jon, I did some research and just purchased a copy of Paint Shop Pro on eBay so that should keep me busy during the holidays :)

Nigel

Cool,

I hope Paint Shop Pro works very well for you and your maps are more than you expected. If you need any help with the graphics in particular, I would be glad to help as I have a lot of experience with Photoshop, and a good amount with Paint Shop Pro too, to include tutorial writing for both programs Feel free to e-mail me anytime for graphics related questions (I'd help with map programming too, but others here are much better at that).

making_sints

Post by making_sints » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:40 am

When will the next group of maps arrive?

JonManning

Post by JonManning » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:51 pm

making_sints wrote:When will the next group of maps arrive?

I noticed new maps posted yesterday. I can't wait to check them out.

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:44 pm

JonManning,
Just don't use MS Paint unless you want something that looks like it was made by a two year old.

Jon,
Ekij created Di'Mul_Jar and Twin Volcano with MS Paint.
MS Photo Editor was also used for shrinking trees once they were created (as Paint doesn't soften as it shrinks, it just throws pixels away).
You can do a respectable job in MS Paint alone and I expect over half the maps could have been created with just MS Paint.

JonManning

Post by JonManning » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:41 pm

BoxZone_Author wrote:JonManning,
Just don't use MS Paint unless you want something that looks like it was made by a two year old.

Jon,
Ekij created Di'Mul_Jar and Twin Volcano with MS Paint.
MS Photo Editor was also used for shrinking trees once they were created (as Paint doesn't soften as it shrinks, it just throws pixels away).
You can do a respectable job in MS Paint alone and I expect over half the maps could have been created with just MS Paint.

Sure, you could use MS Paint and work around its severe limitations if you are very patient. Personally I would rather not have MS Paint decide for me what pixels to throw away, nor do I want any of them thrown away, just merged to a smaller size when needed. The difference between MS Paint and a cheap entry level graphics program is like the difference between a dull chisel and a CNC machine.

Should you ever try out a demo of one of the programs I mentioned you would likely never use MS Paint again for anything.