Calculating Continent Bonus Values

A boardgame of world domination
MrWCF

Calculating Continent Bonus Values

Post by MrWCF » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:59 am

I thought that it might be of some interest to a few of you for me to pass along the method that I use to determine continent bonus values when I create a new map.

I consider four variables for any given continent:
1. How many territories are there within the continent?
2. For all of the territories within the continent, how many territories within the continent neighbor them?
3. For all of the territories within the continent, how many territories in other continents neighbor them?
4. How many territories within the continent neighbor other continents?

I then create a matrix of possible continent bonus values. For instance, the matrix might contain all values from 1 to 25 for each continent. For seven continents, that would result in 6,103,515,625 different combinations. Then I look at each of the six billion matrix combinations using the following methodology:

I equalize each of the four variables by performing the following calculation (using as an example the first variable): I multiply the number of territories within all continents by the projected continent bonus, then divide by the number of territories within the continent, then divide by the total of the projected bonuses for all continents. I subtract this amount from one and take the absolute value of the difference.

I perform the same operation for the remaining three variables. Then I add the four absolute values. After repeating this for all six billion matrix combinations, the combination that results in the lowest sum of absolute values determines the bonuses that I use for my map.

It's probably an understatement to say that this sounds complicated, but with the help of an Excel spreadsheet and a Visual Basic program, it's actually pretty easy, and quite fun.