Critical Mass Ship Editor Utility

Command a squadron of spaceships
phoenixosu

Post by phoenixosu » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:32 am

I have a screen shot of one of my custom ships being flown by an enemy squadron, well its my friends game but he had one of my customs in his directory and his squadmates killed it (sad panda since its the ship i usually fly as my own), not even one of my many drone ships.[/img]

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:20 am

So a lot of folks want a way to get the enemy to use their custom ships. Well, here is your chance, but a GREAT BIG CAUTION first. Do this at your own risk. I'll tell you how, but if you goof it up, caveat emptor.

Start Critical Mass and export any ships you want to have available in the new Designs.dat file. Before you export them, check that the "used by race" check boxes are all checked. You must export each ship that you want available whether for enemy use or for your custom ships list. Very Important, if you have a game in progress, you must import all ships that are currently used in that game, otherwise it can cause problems when you start that game up. Exit Critical Mass and go to the directory where the game program files are stored.

Copy your existing Designs.dat file and place that copy someplace safe. My preference is to copy and then paste it into the Critical Mass directory and then re-name it as Designs.sav. If you do this, you will have a copy of your designs file to go back to when and if you decide to quit using this modified version. The Designs.dat file can be found in the main Critical Mass directory.

Save a copy of this modified Designs.dat file onto your computer in the Critical Mass directory so that it replaces the old file. http://www.selectedplants.com/miscan/Designs.dat

Now start Critical Mass and import 5 ships that you want the enemy to be able to use. The limit is 5 and they MUST be the first 5 that you import. Once they are imported, you will NO LONGER be able to edit them. Now import any further custom ships you want in your game. These will be fully editable and can only be used by the player.

You heap big ugly Indian if you pull this off!

Fusion

edited 2008/11/24 to fix the link for the modified designs file.
Last edited by Fusion_power on Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sid6.7

Post by sid6.7 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:15 pm

eek...although tempting...i'm a scaredy cat...
if you run..you'll only die tired

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:17 am

Just installed on a different machine, and am making a completely new set of custom ships, so it's the perfect time to try it out...
"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!

owfio

Post by owfio » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:44 am

I've finally managed to get a game to admiral and earn some money (just topped 1000!), but I don't really want to play another few hundred games to reach my goal of 2k. Does anyone know how to edit a save game and still have CM run it?

(I posted in this thread because its still kinda on the dame topic of editing/cheating.)

Kryzon

Post by Kryzon » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:22 pm

Heya dpm_dpmartin, do you know a way of disabling critical mass' deletion of commander files once you die? a way to make a patch or something so that you can spare the saved game file?

dpm_dpmartin

Post by dpm_dpmartin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:16 pm

Sorry, I don't. It's not something I've looked at I'm afraid.

pokeman7452

Post by pokeman7452 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:31 pm

I have looked quite a bit into CM's security and such. I have fooled the hall of fame test and made a program to load dead commanders. I have also edited a save to replace my ship with one that I was not supposed to be able to get yet. I was never going to release the info because some people are collecting records. I do however offer by-request recovery of old hall of fames and saves. If anyone is worried about loosing data, just back up your CM folder and I can do the rest.

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:59 pm

It is relatively easy to edit the files and modify individual games. You can resurrect dead commanders, modify ships/designs, even fake out the stats. I just don't see a real reason to want to do so in the first place. Learn to play the game, then you will be able to fly commanders to high levels. I routinely play a pilot up to about 100 missions and then kill him off intentionally. Most of the fun is between mission 30 and mission 80.

DarJones

phoenixosu

Post by phoenixosu » Sun May 17, 2009 10:28 am

So I got the extra ships designs.dat file to work, added my designs to make the game more challenging, and found a BIG surprise, and as a result my ship personal ship designs for my wing mates and I will be changing somewhat drastically. I suggest you all try it at least once, you won't be disappointed ;)

umeboshi110

Post by umeboshi110 » Sun May 24, 2009 6:43 am

care to share your newfound wisdom? :3
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Mon May 25, 2009 12:04 am

No.

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Mon May 25, 2009 12:21 am

The surprise is easy enough. Just use the modified file and add your favorite ship designs. Then play the game and get ready to have your backside shot off. Why? Because playing the game with some truly competent ships is about 3 times as hard as playing the unmodified game. You might call this "expert mode"! The real fun begins above mission 70.

DarJones

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Mon May 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Funny

shrike

Post by shrike » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:40 am

Using custom ships for the AI led to the first time I ever was broadsided by 7 missiles from one enemy ship in a single turn.

It hurt.

A lot.