Page 1 of 1

Transferring files and mission editor

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:36 pm
by qwas
2 things:

1: Why can't I import missions into the editor? (Sorry if this is something obvious :oops: )

2: On my old version of CM I had a load of ships and missions downloaded, including a few self-made ones which I never uploaded onto the internet, and when I updated a lost them all. This is very annoying, I can't remember what my self-made ones looked like and I'm not bothered to download everything again every time an update comes out.

Re: Transferring files and mission editor

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:42 pm
by Sean OConnor
qwas wrote: 1: Why can't I import missions into the editor? (Sorry if this is something obvious :oops: )
To get an imported mission file into the editor just copy a .mis file into the "missions" folder.
qwas wrote: 2: On my old version of CM I had a load of ships and missions downloaded, including a few self-made ones which I never uploaded onto the internet, and when I updated a lost them all. This is very annoying, I can't remember what my self-made ones looked like and I'm not bothered to download everything again every time an update comes out.
Your old .mis files ought to still be there (unless you manually deleted the folder?). If you have an old copy of your Designs.dat file that is where your new designs are. If you uninstalled or installed over that file then I'm afraid they will be gone :(

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:48 pm
by qwas
1: Thanks!

2: Does this mean I have to install the new version somewhere else, then copy the old files and then uninstall the old version?

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:29 am
by TheKangaroo
...or you just copy the file before installing the new version.

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:39 pm
by Sean OConnor
TheKangaroo wrote:...or you just copy the file before installing the new version.
Yes, that's what I'd recommend.

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:50 pm
by qwas
Of course! lol, well thanks, I can finally get the new versions.
I'll send the update request e-mail now.

And this time I'm installing to an new place so it should be simple.

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:14 am
by BoxZone_Author
Sean,

Is it possible for the installer to look for an existing "designs.dat" file and rename it something like "designs.old" so that it's not lost if someone forgets to export their ships / make a safe copy before installing an upgrade?

Yes...

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:05 pm
by dpm_dpmartin
In the INNO .iss file...

Code: Select all

[Files]
Source: "designs.dat"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: promptifolder confirmoverwrite
...would at least ask the user if they want to overwrite a file upon a newer installation of the same program. Can't molly-coddle the users too much though... ask 'em, if they say "Yes" and if they then lose something, well - more fool them... but not asking them, and then letting them find out that summat has gone AWOL, might be perceived as a program being a bit naughty.