Only seem to show 8 medals....

Command a squadron of spaceships
JustLove

Only seem to show 8 medals....

Post by JustLove » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:50 am

Is it possible to implement it so that it shows the number of each medals?

Thanks.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:09 am

If I showed all the medals it could run off the screen so I limit it to showing a maximum of 8 of each.

JustLove

Post by JustLove » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:29 am

well, 8 is far from the screen limit. Here is a simple fix, just show the number if the total number of medals is greater than 10 or something.

After all, after I spend so much time playing, I would want to know at least how many medals I earn (without using a hex editor).

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:56 am

OK, I'll have a think about that. No one's got more than 8 Gold Crosses yet though have they!?

Joshua

Post by Joshua » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:11 am

I haven't. I've never got past my 8th mission and only about once got a gold cross. :oops:

JustLove

Post by JustLove » Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:42 pm

Well, after playing a couple times, I realize that it's actually not all that difficult to get gold medal (but it's a little risky). The key to get gold medal is to eliminate ships that are much more expensive than yours. (Thus, if you build a super-duper ship, it's very difficult to get a gold medal).

Here is how I do it,

1) Enable missions with the following property, disable the rest. (You don't have to do this, but you might need to wait longer if you don't)

- Have random asteroid or asteroid field
- There are enough enemy ships
- You are the only squadron

In fact, if you just want to practice, just create a mission. Put an asteroid field in the middle, and put two enemy squadrons inside the asteroid field. Uncheck objectives (so you always succeed). Disable all missions but this.

2) Create a ship, this is the one I always use to get gold medal,

4 stealth, 4 radar on front (or 4 stealth, 3 radar, 1 repair bot)
4 stealth 2 missile, 1 engine, 1 command center on left same for right
4 stealth, 3 engine, 1 command center on back
4 shields on front
3 shields on left and right
0-2 shield on back (You should have as few of these as possible, they are way too expensive)

Put the missiles in this order,
Plectron Yatari Plectron
Plectron Yatari Plectron
Plectron Yatari Plectron

This should cost somewhere between 159 to 177. (Note that you will need to have 3 times the credit, otherwise this ship won't be available for you.)

3) Just buy this ship, let's call it Hider. (Maybe a couple scouts to help you find the enemy or objective quicker)

4) When the mission starts, lead the enemy to an asteroid field immediately. Inside the asteroid field, homing missiles work amazingly poor, because those missiles would chase the asteroid. This is essential because Hider has very poor turn and back defense.

In fact, fly backward to lead the enemy to an asteroid field, so that their missile hits your front shield, not back.

(I actually think this is the hardest and most annoy part)

5) Once every ship is inside the asteroid field, fly around to find enemy scouts (or anyone that can see you), you want to eliminate them first. After that, you can just fly slowly behind each ship and kill them. Just be careful when you deal with ships that have 4 radars on one side.

P.S. It would be slightly easier if you choose Merikon, because the ships for this race have more radar. (So you enemy will have less radar if you choose this race)

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:55 am

Sean,

If a player flies 40 missions, he will have 8 or more gold crosses most of the time. Most of the other medals will also be maxed out. Its very difficult to get through 40 missions but it can be done without modifying the mission files. I won't go into the effects of using modified mission files. One minor complaint, the new medals are difficult to distinguish because the colors are so nearly the same. Maybe you could change the color of the ribbon slightly so they would be a bit more unique.

Justlove,

You've picked up on something that Sean and I emailed about during beta testing. There is a slight advantage to flying Merikon and Straylian ships. The game has been left like this deliberately. It will be a factor if Sean implements networking so two or more players can compete online. I thought about this quite a bit before deciding that there are some advantages to having it the way it is.

Fusion

McLauren

Post by McLauren » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:26 am

Why not just have a picture of each medal and the number of that type of medals you have earned, as opposed to showing each individual one?

qwas

Post by qwas » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:02 pm

Sean O'Connor wrote:OK, I'll have a think about that. No one's got more than 8 Gold Crosses yet though have they!?

Yeah but for other medals
Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:30 pm

I am past 100th mission now with over 15 gold crosses. I probably have 50 mohs, 20 conspics. and more than 8 outstandings.
I know it seems impossible, but it did take a long time and a lot of frustration to get here. Not to mention the fact that my escape pod has gone right past missiles several times, so i am lucky as well.

Fuzzy Wonky

Post by Fuzzy Wonky » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:07 pm

Admiral Tie-Jiao-Zi (iron whistle) died yesterday night during mission 93. He had 79 successes, 370 kills, 14 GC, 21 OC, 26 CB and 24 MoH.
I have had 11 commanders with 10 GC or more.
-- NEITHER FOR NOR AGAINST (quite the reverse!) --
LIFE'S A TRAP. WE WON'T GET OUT OF IT ALIVE!

socks

Post by socks » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:59 pm

i had plenty of 25 mission deaths, with quite a few gold medals in each try (as i had fun taking four rocket launchers on a 120pt ship)

my first ship to reach over 100 is still alive on mission #266 with 817 kills ,but, i have only gained one gold medal - because i have played very cautiously up to 100 missions, and now i will have to destroy 5 or 6 big ships to get a gold, as my ship is maxed out and even 8 or 9 ship kills doesnt merit outstanding.

im not complaining though, as its the last remaining challenge at this level (except staying alive

i wouldn't mind fighting a 'boss' type 3 or 4 times stronger than the strongest possible human ship

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:15 pm

Fortunately for you, BZA has a nifty little file on his webpage, here

Scroll to the bottom and download CMROHR.exe

Unfortunately, it only seems to work on dead commanders. I have a dead one with 161/180 won missions, he died in 182, and he was 92 GC. I always flew a cheap ship and bided my time. Once, I used the Skelf by BZA to finish off a crippled Warrior, that was my only kill, and it took every missile I had. I got a GC for that.

THats the most GC any one of my commanders has.
I poop, therefore I am.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:34 am

Whooie, 92 GC??! Very nice!
My webcomic:

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:46 am

ya its pretty cool
I poop, therefore I am.