The repair bot

Command a squadron of spaceships
Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:00 pm

I've never seen a repair bot repair shields. Even when I had 6 bots and 32 damaged shields (full shields all destroyed!) nothing ever got repaired shield-wise. I think it even says somewhere in the game that the repair bot only repairs internal components.
My webcomic:

supercubedude

Post by supercubedude » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:45 pm

Exactamundo, Johnson. It's right in the instructions.
Don't worry! I can replace your intestines with this kitten!

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:18 am

What are these instructions of which you speak? :P

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:38 pm

Um...if you're joking, that's pretty funny. But if you're not, then it's the help file. That smiley makes it hard for me to tell which it is...
My webcomic:

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:45 pm

Yes, it was a joke...

Thegreatnick

Post by Thegreatnick » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:22 pm

Ah.
Thegreatnick is here!
Lesser Nicks beware.

Thegreatnick

Post by Thegreatnick » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:03 pm

Wait. Playing Defend Wormhole, and I noticed that the wormhole has a grand total of 6 repair bots. I thought you said that only 4 had any use, or does it change in terms of civilian ships?
Proof that Sean has been lieing to us?
Thegreatnick is here!
Lesser Nicks beware.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:19 pm

Thegreatnick wrote:Wait. Playing Defend Wormhole, and I noticed that the wormhole has a grand total of 6 repair bots. I thought you said that only 4 had any use, or does it change in terms of civilian ships?
Proof that Sean has been lieing to us?

I didn't design the Wormhole ship! It may have 6 repair bots but like I mentioned only a maximum of 4 will have any effect. Having extra ones would help if you got hit by a missile and some were damaged though.

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:01 am

I must confess, I designed the wormhole. Sean built the mission around it. The ship was a very early design in the process of developing the current version of CM. I was helping Sean beta test at the time. I also designed the Comet Miner and the Coloniser. Note that they each have exactly 4 repair bots! I did not know that only 4 repair bots were effective at the time. But I would still have put 6 on board the wormhole regardless to maintain symmetry. The purpose of the wormhole is to hide and, if hit, to repair itself as rapidly as possible. Having extra repair bots achieves this objective very nicely. Notice as you fire at a wormhole how many missiles it takes to kill. In many ways, it is a sitting duck mission but with some interesting twists.

The wormhole mission was one of several that Sean added about that time. So the next time you fly a "Coloniser" mission or fly against a "sector base", you can thank me (or cuss me if you choose!). I designed the mission to "Attack Asteroid Mining and Shipbuilding Facility". It is deliberately set to function as a "watershed" mission. You can't possibly win it until you are past about the 40th mission.

Fusion - who made a really bad mistake and got his name put in the honorable mentions list for CM *S*

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:47 pm

I have beaten the "Attack Asteroid Mining and Shipbuilding Facility" mission long before I've flown 40 missions.

Pick a stealth bomber, let your fleet engage the enemy fleet and you fly on, find the target. Hide from the turrets (stealth) and destroy the targets before the emeny fleet picks off your fleet and comes to get you.

It's not easy but I've done it a few times (and died trying a few others).

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:36 am

I'm with BoxZone on this one. "Attack Asteroid Mining and Shipbuilding Facility" is hard but possible if you play it right. All you have to do is destroy the shipyards and then run. Or maybe you want to try to take down a few enemies first...however, it is practically impossible to achieve a "clean win" (you don't run, the enemies do) before mission 40 or so.
My webcomic:

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:38 am

I'd have to agree, I've won that mission before mission 40 as well, granted I ended up ejecting after destroying the last factory having about 7 missiles coming my way with no shields left.

I also won attack enemy home planet first time I played it somehow, I swear half the enemy ships just hyperspaced for no reason.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:21 pm

If you destroy the commander of a squadron, the whole squadron hyperspaces.
My webcomic:

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:14 pm

Wow this topic is now 'popular' according to the message board. Could it be the first popular topic we have had?

On a more 'serious' note. The repair bot repairs civilians. Is that a bug or in the future are we all robots? :)

If theres a choice of shuttle, im going on the one which ressurects you if you get blasted into space, or blown up, or crushed by wreckage...

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:45 am

Steve! wrote:On a more 'serious' note. The repair bot repairs civilians. Is that a bug or in the future are we all robots? :)

Ooops! I'll fix that in the next release.