Page 1 of 1

Hold Fire! He's dead already.

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:21 am
by Empty Hat
Just came across a MkIII shuttle on the attack pilot mission. This was the first contact and there were no enemy ships around (as evidenced by the next 3 turns).

My squad of light ships spent three turns flying strait launching missiles at the shuttle. Three hit for the kill and many more sailed through into dead space.

So far my ship has fired 0 missiles. However in order to get a single civilian (duck) kill the bots fired 15 missiles, which will greatly reduce their dogfighting time when I run across the enemy.

I've also noticed the computer is very lazy and seems to prefer ejected ships to live targets in the middle of a battle which puts more pressure on myself as I've often just forced the fellow to eject and then been set on by a few fighters.

What anoys me most of course is whilst the computer chases scuttled ships and I get cut to ribbons they are also nicking my hard earned kill.

It would be nice if the comp could prioritise targets better. Leave derelicts alone, go for objectives over random civies that kind of thing.

:(

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:18 pm
by Fighter_Ace
I definitely comply with what you are saying, ET. It would be nicer to be able to control your wingmen targets and priority.

Hmm, I think here is where we need an "attack this" command for our wingmen. That would be nice. So many times my guys run out of ammo fighting unimportant targets, then hyperspace and leave me to the rest.

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:59 am
by Legacy
Fighter_Ace wrote:I definitely comply with what you are saying, ET. It would be nicer to be able to control your wingmen targets and priority.

Hmm, I think here is where we need an "attack this" command for our wingmen. That would be nice. So many times my guys run out of ammo fighting unimportant targets, then hyperspace and leave me to the rest.

A simple targeting routine shouldn't be too hard to write...

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:39 am
by Fighter_Ace
I agree. Shouldn't take much more than duplicating the "auto-target" coding from the existing AI and placing it in some sort of command in the squadron menu. Perhaps it may need a little additional tweaking to conform to the player's input, but that should basically do it. :)

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:14 am
by Nomadic
Yes, you should be able to direct your wingmen to attack certain targets and ignore derelicts and unimportant ships.

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:25 pm
by BoxZone_Author
If your AI prioritised the mission objective (and avoided being distracted by chaff) the opponent would too and it would be almost impossible to win a "protect the sitting duck" missions.

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:03 am
by Empty Hat
BoxZone_Author wrote:If your AI prioritised the mission objective (and avoided being distracted by chaff) the opponent would too and it would be almost impossible to win a "protect the sitting duck" missions.


They have their orders, just as we have ours.

I would settle for the ability to designate a single target as 'mine' so that my wingmen left it alone.

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:36 am
by Flipper
in addition, I figure as an Admiral, I have some clout. I should be able to tell the captain of the other squadron to circle or attack a certain area.

It would be awsome to see a defend/attack the world where every one on the front line lay down suppressive fire. (don't think I would actually want to be on the receiving end though)

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:49 pm
by Legacy
Flipper wrote:in addition, I figure as an Admiral, I have some clout. I should be able to tell the captain of the other squadron to circle or attack a certain area.

It would be awsome to see a defend/attack the world where every one on the front line lay down suppressive fire. (don't think I would actually want to be on the receiving end though)

I have a class of cheap drone-like Plectron launchers. Their sole purpose is to launch up to four Plectrons in a turn. I've held formation attacking fuel depots and such with them on my wing. They're fairly disposable though, and only carry enough missiles for three salvos or so. They'd be great skirmishers if there were more advanced tactics.