Invisible?...I don't think so!

Command a squadron of spaceships
Slyworme

Invisible?...I don't think so!

Post by Slyworme » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:54 pm

Has anyone else noticed that even if you have a Super Watcher, there are situations where you are tracked by enemy ships and turrets even when you can't see them?

I have just finished a mission where I was being chased everywhere by a couple of drones which don't even look as if they have radars in them. I managed to lose them on my scanner display but they seemed to be able to find me easily enough.

I have also played on missions against static targets such as turrets, fuel depots and antennae and they seemed to be able to always be pointing at me even if I have moved well away from them and then tried to move behind them.

Has the computer been given an unfair advantage in these cases, Sean?

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:37 am

The computer won't have an advantage as it uses the same routines as your own side too.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:23 am

But, it does seem that AI-controlled ships, once they spot you, always know where you are--even your friends do that. They always seem to know exactly where to find those ships marked as "?"'s. They hunt the down unerringly, which is why I always try to keep one wingmate alive (more than usual) if lots of "?"'s are on the minimap.
My webcomic:

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:51 am

OK, I'll have a look...

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:10 pm

I agree with OMJ I've seen this too.

I've also seen my wingmen fire at enemies that have not yet appeared on the mini-map and one or two turns later the enemy shows up ... right infront of my winmates missiles. Something seems to be amis.

I have even considered that each side might have each others information for the ship behaviour (but your own scanner information for the mini-map) :!:

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:47 pm

BoxZone_Author wrote:I agree with OMJ I've seen this too.

I've also seen my wingmen fire at enemies that have not yet appeared on the mini-map and one or two turns later the enemy shows up ... right infront of my winmates missiles. Something seems to be amis.

I have even considered that each side might have each others information for the ship behaviour (but your own scanner information for the mini-map) :!:

That I have to agree with. They always are firing before I even have a chance!
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

Quorad

Post by Quorad » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:12 pm

And when attacking a crippled ship... they turn to face you when you are near! (My custom ship with all yatari's and mostly made of cloaking components. They will turn in your direction and not do anything else! but will fire at you if you are on their radar. But they shouldn't even turn to face me. I turn all around them but still face me. So I usually kill them the hard way by sending 5 or so yatari's into the frontal shields instead of one yatari into their rear.
日本語がわかる。

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:20 pm

I don't get it. Why shouldn't they be doing that?

Quorad

Post by Quorad » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:29 pm

It's cheating.
日本語がわかる。

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:05 pm

Why is it cheating? They have working maneuvering thrusters, so they are able to turn. Your own crippled ships do the very same.

Quorad

Post by Quorad » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:01 pm

ok, heres the scenario...
I have a custom ship, called Complexiter
it has mostly stealth, 4 missle bays, 2 command, 4 radar in front, 2 stealth in front, tons of shields, 2 repair bots, lots of special missles, and enough thrusters to be the same as the banshee. So it has max pieces(except rear shield) And it costs 158 credits.
So it is the second to least advanced ship I have created.

I am kind of getting off topic.

So to respond to the last post... They can't see me. They shouldn't see me. I have lots of stealth. I actually bump into their rear and they still don't see me. And I usually win all my missions... Until I get enough credits to bring my most POWERFUL CUSTOM SHIP AVAILABLE!!! It dominates.(untested)

Fenris

Any progress on tracking this down?

Post by Fenris » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:13 am

There's definitely a bug in how the AI (as exemplified by wingmen) can spot locate hidden ships that have been seen at least once.

With no spotted enemies remaining, I've seen my wingmen go in the -opposite- direction, away from the question marks tracking estimated position based on last known position and velocity, precisely bee-lining for enemies well across the map from any friendly item whatsoever. And if the wingmen share the same logic as the AI enemies, they can keep their best face towards *my* ship once I've been spotted once anywhere by any enemy.

CM, 4.0.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:56 pm

Hey Quorad, how do you know that your ship dominates if it's untested?
My webcomic:

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:31 am

Because he's - as stated somewhere else - smart. (Sorry, I know you want me to stop that...)

umeboshi110

Post by umeboshi110 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:11 pm

i think its like they can see u but theyr not allowed to fire at u. as u all probably know, when theres a target thats not moving, the ai will stop at a certain distance away from the target and start moving slightly back and forth and then fire. if u have a very high stealth ship and they see u once and then u stop in the middle of nowhere, i think they will go to u and "hover around u" but wont shoot until u get into their radars range.