Invisible?...I don't think so!

Command a squadron of spaceships
General Potato

Post by General Potato » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:07 am

I always get hit by my own wingmate missiles and usually die due it. When the mission begins, my wingmates spot the enemies first than I even if I'm in front of the squadron and have the same radars. Do AI ships have far sight ability? I get really mad when my ship get ripped by my own wingmates :(

Fenris

Firing early...

Post by Fenris » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:47 pm

Regarding early in the mission, I think it's just that your AI wingmates are willing to fire upon contact, rather than waiting for target lock.

The missiles do seem to be able to continue tracking a target even if your sensors lose contact after their launch (in other words, you don't need to keep the target painted); perhaps the missiles can acquire the target on their own as well.

Or, especially with the unguided Plectrons, the rationale might simply be to fire missiles into the area where the enemies appear to be heading, even if your targeting systems haven't yet locked, and hope for lucky hits. Their accuracy isn't the greatest during the initial salvos, but if they've got the ammo...

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:36 pm

The missiles do seem to be able to continue tracking a target even if your sensors lose contact after their launch

They definetly do. Fire and forget.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:38 am

The missiles think for themselves. Target lock or not, if they detect an enemy (or friend for that matter), they're going for it.
My webcomic: