13%
7%
Newest version (4)
80%

Total votes: 15

Old Man Johnson

Which do you think is best?

Post by Old Man Johnson » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:18 pm

Which Critical Mass game do you like the best?

I like the original the best because it runs fast even on crappy computers and is simple to play. The others are still good, though.
My webcomic:

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:04 am

I preferred the originals over three. There were just too many ships in three for you to feel you were making the difference the same way you did in 1/2... on the other hand at least (until you made a custom ship) there wasn't the "Hunter beats all!" scenario in 3.

I haven't tried 4 yet.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:14 pm

Hopefully 4.0 will be perfect for you as I've cut down on the large battles in 3.0 (and you have to have been promoted to get to them anyway) and there is no one super ship like the Hunter that everybody always wanted to be in 2.0

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:25 pm

Large battles rule! I made a battle using all possible mission units as 600 point squads in critical mass 3. IT WAS GREAT! but there was so much going on that it couldnt keep track of all the missiles, so sometimes when i fired nothing happened :?

supercubedude

Post by supercubedude » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:38 pm

I've had 1 for years and never upgraded. I tried 3, but in the new ones, there is WAY too much going on! you can hardly see the misslies aganist the space backround! And what's this hyperspace crap?! Back in my day, we ran like hell! That's more intense, and fun!
Another thing, there's too many ships! I'm tired of having click on every enemy ship just to figure out who to kill! Give me 9 ships like in the originals! That's ALL YOU NEED!

I did like the create a ship option, but you can end up too powerful. It makes the game too easy! In the original, The best you got was the crusier, END OF STORY! And game was never easy, because the AI would do you one better with the dreadnought! BALANCE!!!

(deep breath) I could keep going. But my hand is tired.
Don't worry! I can replace your intestines with this kitten!

OrigamiGuy

Post by OrigamiGuy » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:51 pm

supercubedude wrote:I could keep going. But my hand is tired.

You type with only one hand? No wonder you don't like a lot of ships. :-)

Seriously, though, I don't think the earlier versions even hold a candle to 4.0. Stealth, accountability, a mission curve... it's just better. And I don't think it differs enough from the originals to qualify as a separate game.

However, I hold no grudge against those who prefer the old school. After all, I sold my copy of Civilization III after playing it, because I still enjoy Civ I version 1.0 better. (The settler bug freaking RULES.) Props to those who still have their old versions. It's all a matter of taste.
"Stupid people exist to give smart people something fun to do." ~Me
"Those who can constantly quote others aren't necessarily well-read. Maybe they simply have no ideas of their own." ~Me

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:20 am

After trying 4.0, I think I like it better (if only for the Spacebar shortcut for End Turn). After playing for a while, you can identify ships by sight, no matter how many there are. It looks a lot better, and is a lot more balanced.
My webcomic: