[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - 2 modes -- resurrect dead or not

2 modes -- resurrect dead or not

Command a squadron of spaceships

40%
40%
7%
3%
10%

Total votes : 30

2 modes -- resurrect dead or not

Postby JustLove » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:40 pm

JustLove

Postby Old Man Johnson » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:31 pm

My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby Steve! » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:55 pm

I think this is a very good idea. I'd be annoyed if fps like HL 2 made you start over when you died and thus i get very annoyed when i die on citical mass, particularly when its completely out of the blue. Critical mass has limited replayability, my real desire is always to get to a really high level, which i have done, before i lost my roll of hounour :(. Ive started again and died after mission 7 and im thinking to myself whats the point??

But what are we adding by not letting people respawn, the game has enough challenge already, ive seen the higher levels. And realism isn't really there in a turn based space shooter anyway. I cant see any reason why respawns are not allowed.
Steve!

Postby rich12545 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:52 pm

I agree.
rich12545

Postby Steve! » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:16 pm

the problem with instant death is i struggle to try out new ship designs. If i build several variations of heavy fighter and one variation is terrible and i die, then i have to start all over again to try the other types. Building ships is one of the best parts of cmass 3 and 4, but on cmass4 i struggle to try them out. I dont want to fly a potentially terrible fighter and risk death when ive got a workable and well used design already.
Steve!

Postby Goblinarcher » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:53 pm

Goblinarcher

Postby Steve! » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:57 pm

Steve!

Postby Goblinarcher » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:19 am

Goblinarcher

Postby BoxZone_Author » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:03 pm

BoxZone_Author

Postby Fighter_Ace » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:44 am

Fighter_Ace

Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Postby Goblinarcher » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:02 am

Goblinarcher

Postby Sean OConnor » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:03 am

Sean OConnor

Postby Fighter_Ace » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:59 pm

Fighter_Ace

Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Postby Jeremy » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:54 am

I don't think you should be able to reload games during a mission, but I think when you beat a mission the next should be unlocked for unlimited use - So I can play back missions whenever I want, trying to beat previous scores and learning to master every level.

I've never really liked games where you lose all progress upon dying, I like playing through the game making steady progress and being able to replay my favourite missions from the past at will.

What you say makes sense, sean, which is why I wouldn't want to see saving/reloading during an actual mission, just the ability to replay any previously unlocked mission again without starting from the beginning. I think it would up the replayability of the game for me a thousand fold.

You can, as the original poster stated, still have a highscores table for the current mode of the game, but just have a seperate table, like slay, which records your personal records for each level.
Jeremy

Postby OrigamiGuy » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:56 am

I think I'm with Sean on this one.

It's the same kind of mentality that goes with games like Diablo II, with Hardcore mode. I prefer dying to mean actually dying. Once resurrection is so easy, then people will abuse it. High scores will mean nothing, and the game will become just as boring as the kinds of games where everyone cheats and no one cares. In other game genres, such as strategy and adventure, I prefer to save frequently, but action/simulation titles like CM lose their edge when the consequences for dying are removed.

Plus, "real" death adds wondrous flavor to the game. Once you've put in more than 40 hours of gameplay on one commander, you start to think REALLY hard about whether to save your radar stations or accept a failure. Suddenly, the missions become so real that your nightmares are filled with burning rear engines, and your hands start to sweat when you hear the missile alarm. (Not really. But you get the point.)
"Stupid people exist to give smart people something fun to do." ~Me
"Those who can constantly quote others aren't necessarily well-read. Maybe they simply have no ideas of their own." ~Me
OrigamiGuy

Next

Return to Critical Mass