2 modes -- resurrect dead or not

Command a squadron of spaceships

Should there be 2 playing modes with seperate roll of honors? One is the same as now, the other one allows player to reload/resurrect saved game.

Yes
40%
No
40%
I don't care
7%
Maybe
3%
None of the above (Please post comment)
10%

Total votes: 30

Goblinarcher

Post by Goblinarcher » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:38 am

nice quote oragami

Tris

Post by Tris » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:47 am

Anyone who has played ADOM will understand just how much this kind of realistic "one chance" setting can add to your enjoyment of a game.

Also, this way, if someone talks about the time they took on an enemy base in a mostly-crippled ship, and managed to complete the mission, getting a gold cross and teleporting out just before 4 missiles converged on them, you know it was real heroics, and that it wasn't the 70th time they attempted that mission.

OrigamiGuy

Post by OrigamiGuy » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:14 pm

Attacking a base with a mostly-crippled ship sounds like a good way to get dead. I guess it depends on how you define heroics :-).
"Stupid people exist to give smart people something fun to do." ~Me
"Those who can constantly quote others aren't necessarily well-read. Maybe they simply have no ideas of their own." ~Me

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:18 pm

I guess it depends on how you define heroics

There's a fine line between brave (heroic) and stupid.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:49 am

What I hate is actually the beginning. When you can't find a good ship, you WILL die. This also applies to any time you have to eject.
My webcomic:

OrigamiGuy

Post by OrigamiGuy » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:51 pm

There are plenty of good ships at the beginning, but what I did was create two custom ships of 116 credits each, so they're available from the start. One is a great fighter that's like a cross between a Pirahna and a Dread, the other is a more combat-capable observing ship. I'll post the specs if anyone's interested. They get me through the first twelve to twenty missions, depending on the new ships I get.

A crappy ship does NOT mean you'll die, though. You just have to change tactics away from the head-on-shoot-lots-of-missiles-and-pray method.
"Stupid people exist to give smart people something fun to do." ~Me
"Those who can constantly quote others aren't necessarily well-read. Maybe they simply have no ideas of their own." ~Me

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:27 pm

If you eject do you always go back to "cheep ships only"?

Old_man_Johnson hints at this and I was coming to that conclusion from observation.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:39 pm

Well, you don't, but you have to hope good ships show up.

As to what OrigamiGuy says, I built custom ships like that, the problem is that with that little armor, there's always the chance that a stray missile will take you out. It's extremely annoying and happens surprisingly often...

But, what I hate most is when the game refuses to sell you custom ships. I've gone up to 8 missions without seeing one custom ship.
My webcomic:

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:02 pm

I rarely see a mission where there isn't one (or many) custom ships.
I assume thats becaused I have so many designs.
Try duplicating your designs (with very slight modificaions) and you should see them more often.

jmack

Post by jmack » Tue May 19, 2009 3:15 am

has anyonw found a why to save your game so when you die you can go back to the last mission?

Sketchy

Post by Sketchy » Tue May 19, 2009 4:46 pm

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Wed May 20, 2009 12:53 am

Hahaha! :lol: Funny Sketchy. But...

Kazuo Ishiguro

Post by Kazuo Ishiguro » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:43 pm

One way of sidestepping the issue of poor ship availability during the opening stages of the game is to repeatedly eject on turn 1 of a mission, with no other ships in your squad. This reduces your chance of death to zero for that mission, and causes it to end quickly, but in many cases you still complete it successfully.

If you're defending, there's a good chance that the mission will end without the enemy ever finding their target. Bizarrely, I've even seen missions end successfully with contact made, enemies on screen and their missiles in flight towards a friendly structure.

A similar strategy is to take the smallest possible ship for yourself, keeping clear of all combat and leaving more funds for other ships in your squad to do all the actual work. Even in offensive missions this can be sufficient for victory.

After going a few missions like this, you can afford a better-shielded ship for yourself, and start to take more risks with it.

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:09 am

It will be log, too much long for me.
I need to write something, so i create that signature.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:04 pm

If you're defending, there's a good chance that the mission will end without the enemy ever finding their target. Bizarrely, I've even seen missions end successfully with contact made, enemies on screen and their missiles in flight towards a friendly structure.

Indeed odd. As far as I know that's not supposed to happen. As long as there are active missiles the round shouldn't end.