Just a wild idea... turrets on ships

Command a squadron of spaceships
Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Just a wild idea... turrets on ships

Post by Fighter_Ace » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:12 am

I was just thinking, the game is awesome already but what about turrets ON ships? Has this ever crossed anyone's mind? Wouldn't it be cool if some ships could be equipt with turrets :roll: . Like real life. On airplanes there are turrets on most bombers of WWII. Turrets on the spaceships would be awesome!
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

McLauren

Post by McLauren » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:20 am

I like this idea. I have thought of it before many times before.

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:09 am

Wow! So I'm not totaly alone on the idea... thats great! Does anyone else have any comments/ideas?

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:18 pm

what would be really great would be massive capital ships with turrets! Maybe seperate armour values for each individual turret as well as engines and stuff. It would be great to blow bits off them.

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:23 pm

Turrets (the ability to shoot in a direction other than the one you are flying in) would take a lot of the skill (getting into position (usually behind) for the kill shot) out of the game.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:00 am

A problem with rear facing turrets would be that when you fire a missile it starts off with your current speed and then accelerates so it would end up being fairly stationary. Try flying backwards very quickly and shoot a missile and you'll see what I mean.

OrigamiGuy

Post by OrigamiGuy » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:34 am

I'm with Sean on this one.

Though, the missile lag problem gives rise to another idea: What about stationary space mines? Mines could be on a rear-mounted launcher, and once launched simply decelerate until they're stationary. Once launched, they would explode and cause a lot of damage (say, 30mtons' worth) to anything that came within a certain distance (say, twice the radius of a normal ship). Mines would act like regular objects, and therefore could be picked off with missiles.

Further ideas for space mines:
  • A minelayer ship would REALLY discourage unfriendly tailgaters. Not only would a tailer risk running into a mine, the mines would draw fire by attracting missiles.
  • You could incorporate a type of stealth mine, with a smaller warhead but it could only be seen from a close distance.
  • Missions could have another object: a minefield. Such minefields would be placed around bases, strung up as static defenses outside turrets, and generally be very nasty places to fight.
  • Mine launchers (to maintain balance) would be very heavy, or even very bulky (takes up two slots in a ship's configuration). Perhaps instead of five missiles, an ammo slot could store only three mines. Thus, minelayer ships would be slower, heavier, and only able to carry so much payload on board.
"Stupid people exist to give smart people something fun to do." ~Me
"Those who can constantly quote others aren't necessarily well-read. Maybe they simply have no ideas of their own." ~Me

Fighter_Ace

Post by Fighter_Ace » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:52 pm

OrigamiGuy wrote:I'm with Sean on this one.

Though, the missile lag problem gives rise to another idea: What about stationary space mines? Mines could be on a rear-mounted launcher, and once launched simply decelerate until they're stationary. Once launched, they would explode and cause a lot of damage (say, 30mtons' worth) to anything that came within a certain distance (say, twice the radius of a normal ship). Mines would act like regular objects, and therefore could be picked off with missiles.
How about you actually have to HIT the mine for it to explode! Other than that... I LOVE the idea 8) ! And I like the idea of a couple different types of mines... just like missiles!

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:01 pm

I think mines would be too powerful agaisnt tailing ships, 30mton would definatly be too much. Think about it, the distance between the tailing ship and its target is easily covered in one turn, if the target dropped a mine, you'd have no chance for evasion.

OrigamiGuy

Post by OrigamiGuy » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:12 am

Steve! wrote:...if the target dropped a mine, you'd have no chance for evasion.
All the more reason to have a radius of detonation, rather than just hitting the mine. Your chances of avoiding a mine (in my mind's eye, about half the size of an escape pod) are fairly good in a dogfighting ship. Targets capable of dropping mines would be slow and heavy, as I said before, and in my opinion it would only add another level of strategy. If you're tailing a target that you know is capable of dropping mines, and you get hit, I'd say it's your own stinkin' fault. Learn to strafe ships from the sides, instead of tailing all the time.

I agree that 30mTons is too much for normal projectiles, but mines could have that much power without being a risk to the more nimble ships. Mines could be picked off with missiles. The damage would be greatest at the center of the explosion, and reduced at the perimeter to the equivalent of a good missile blast. Ships who fly directly into the mine get scrapped. Ships who simply skirt the edge of the blast radius will only take a small hit to their side shields.
"Those who can constantly quote others aren't necessarily well-read. Maybe they simply have no ideas of their own." ~Me

Fighter_Ace

Post by Fighter_Ace » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:10 am

I think, to satisfy Steve and other people on his idea, mines should have a certain amount of time before they are armed. That way, if you happen to be dog fighting and aren?t maneuverable enough but going quite fast, you can get over the mine before it arms itself.

OrigamiGuy

Post by OrigamiGuy » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:02 pm

Hey, now we're talking. I said before that mines could be released and then decelerate until they're stationary; they could simply be unarmed until they stop completely. Fast ships could zoom through, and big ships would be able to withstand the hit.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:55 pm

Theoretically, if you flew backwards fast and fired Yatari's (slow) then wouldn't they sort of turn into mines because they're practically stationary?
My webcomic:

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:03 pm

yes they do, in fact if you fly back fast enough they go backward very slowly

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:31 am

Yeah, I just tried it out with a fast custom ship and the Yataris actually move back pretty fast so that if you slow down even a little they outrun you. This doesn't work with other missiles, though because they have too much thrust and fuel.

But there isn't really much use to it anyway...
My webcomic: