Just a wild idea... turrets on ships

Command a squadron of spaceships
The Ranger

Post by The Ranger » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:26 am

Sorry to post in an old topic, but this is hilarious. I actually killed myself once. I was in a ship that was basically a huge engine with a missle launcher. I fired off a yatari, then used my enourmous thrust to cut my speed a lot, but I didn't turn. The yatari then blew me up.
I am a Ranger.
I walk in the dark places no others will enter.
I do not break away from combat.
I stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.
I do not retreat, whatever the reason.
I live for the One, I die for the One.

cavemaniac1

Post by cavemaniac1 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:13 am

A problem with rear facing turrets would be that when you fire a missile it starts off with your current speed and then accelerates so it would end up being fairly stationary. Try flying backwards very quickly and shoot a missile and you'll see what I mean.

I still think rear turrets have merrit as you're not always going full pelt. Often I'll slow to near stationary to take out a static target (starbase, transmitter etc) and thats when a rear turret would help - shooting at a nearby turret or attacking ship towards my under armoured rear.

And as always, there's the 'pseudo mine' effect, a decelerating rearward fired missile which I've used to hilarious effect in the past while flying backwards being pursued.[/i]
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:29 am

Uh..Ranger, you can't kill yourself with a missile. Sorry, it's impossible.
My webcomic:

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:56 am

Consider this scenario:

You flying backwards in a straight line, with no remaining forward shields. You fire a yatari and decelerate as fast as possible.

Now, reconsider your last statement ;)
I poop, therefore I am.

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:53 pm

I just did that, ima gnu, and as Sean has said before, you cant die on your own missiles.

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:35 pm

I did it! 100+ thrust, and my yatari just flew backward into my ship and blew out all of my front shield! Course, that was.....whatever version was out in the last part of 2001, but hey! Things don't change! rofl. My bad, I wasn't sure if it was still possible. I know it was once and the "Congratulations: YOU SUCK!" screen after the mission was a riot, only kill was myself, and I lived. Figure that out. I lived by shooting myself in the face. If only real world was like that :roll:
I poop, therefore I am.

Fuzzy Wonky

Post by Fuzzy Wonky » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:16 pm

Just tried the following a few minutes ago (Critical Mass version 4.0b):
1) made up an ad hoc super thrust ship : Thrust: 158; Turn: 0? ; cost: 39
? front: 1 command center and 1 launcher; no shield;
? side: nothing and no shield;
? rear: 8 engines; no shield;
? 5 yataris and that?s all.
2) flew backwards at full speed and shot a yatari;
3) fully reversed to decelerate as much as possible, and then forwards full speed: went through my own missile as if it just didn?t exist (even before the ship reached full speed); :shock:
4) fully reversed to decelerate as much as possible, and then backwards full speed again: same as before : just through it before the ship reached full speed?
5) did the same with all my 5 missiles: not even a scratch (I could pass through some of them several times :shock: )...
SEAN IS RIGHT, it?s impossible to even get hurt! :!:
It may seem surrealistic but it?s quite funny ! :lol:
-- NEITHER FOR NOR AGAINST (quite the reverse!) --
LIFE'S A TRAP. WE WON'T GET OUT OF IT ALIVE!

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:22 am

Like I said, it was four years ago :P
I poop, therefore I am.

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:49 am

I believe 'ima_gnu' has an older version. Hence you just can't pin it on him that his manifest isn't true.
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

Fuzzy Wonky

Post by Fuzzy Wonky » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:27 am

I didn't pin anything on anyone. He clearly mentioned "...that was...whatever version was out in the last part of 2001" and I had my try on last Friday with version 4.0b.
I read somewhere that Sean had to work a lot on that issue so that no one would get killed by his own missiles. That simply must have been done after the CM version that Ima_Gnu was alluding to was released.
I just wanted to know (curiosity, you see...) what it's like now.
-- NEITHER FOR NOR AGAINST (quite the reverse!) --
LIFE'S A TRAP. WE WON'T GET OUT OF IT ALIVE!

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:10 pm

Ok, it makes more sense now. Thanks for setting me straight.
My webcomic:

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:00 pm

in response to the turrets idea, I think we should just be able to put launchers on the rear of the ship, they'd have to cost more, but it would be cool. Maybe only certain missiles could be fired from them, or something to limit their power.

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:07 pm

Yeah, that would be cool if there could be no possible way to have a turret. I would LOVE turrets though because they would kinda give you two classes of ships, agile fighters and slow and un-maneuverable yet defended bombers. And if all else fails... some kind of mine would rock! It sure would add more strategy to the game instead of just "Trail Then Shoot!"
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

cavemaniac1

Post by cavemaniac1 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:22 am

Hmmm.

Side launching missiles.

Like it!

Imagine roaring past a starbase or cluster of turrets and launching a salvo of missiles out the side.

A bit like the Vietnam War era 'Puff the Magic Dragon' - a C-47 transport with a bank of cannon firing out the side (and down) at ground targets, the plane just orbited the target and hosed it down. It was otherwise unarmed though, so had to be protected.
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:28 pm

personally, i like "Trail Then Shoot!" more than any ideas we've had so far. Thats just my opinion.