[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Tactics / Custom ships

Tactics / Custom ships

Command a squadron of spaceships

Tactics / Custom ships

Postby Prometheus » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:09 pm

Prometheus

Postby vic user » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:30 pm

vic user

Postby TheKangaroo » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:47 pm

Keep in mind repair bots can't restore shields, so having more than one command module is handy. I had several ship designs with no shields at all which still proved very well surviving due to repair bots (even though not getting hit in the first place still is the best defence).

I usually skip stealth and take additional radar instead. I don't mind when they see me as long as I always have a bearing on them. But that's obviously down to taste, too.

I personally enjoy lots of turning myself, too, even though I'll always try to get in the 40 or 50 region of thrust nonetheless, rather sacrificing some shield or missile launcher or so. One can easily wind up in the price range of 100-150 with that, which is where most of my designs end somehow.

Concerning missiles I usually consider what sort of ship it's supposed to be. Ships designed as space superiority fighters usually end up with great turning and thrust, very little shield, normally two launch tubes and a loadout of Daycorns and either Geenees or Plectrons for whenever I meet something requiring some muscle.
Ships designed primarily as bombers usually have a loadout rich on Plectrons with only a few Geenees or one batch of Daycorns for self defence. Four launch tubes to make those shots I get count, pretty crummy turning as I don't intend them to dogfight but go straight for installations or convoys.

A word on tactics: flying backwards? That has the obvious disadvantage of having to stop somewhere along the line, so I don't suggest it. If you exercise it a bit you can fly right through most asteroid fields without ever slowing down, which in my opinion works a lot better than crashing into something and then turning around.

Wingmen... yea, pretty much the same. Get them away from me a little in the beginning, but I usually just stick to loose line formation leaving them to Attack At Will. It's all chaos after the first pass anyway, being able to manoeuvre there is the critical point.
TheKangaroo

Postby vic user » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:28 pm

vic user

Postby the space predator » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:05 am

I need to write something, so i create that signature.
the space predator

Postby McLauren » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:25 am

McLauren

Postby the space predator » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:18 pm

the space predator

Its all about the stealth

Postby shrike » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:56 am

Stealth is ridiculously powerful in this game. All of my custom ships make judicious use of it for that reason. I also have some custom stealth ships that the computer uses, and they are nearly unstoppable against everyone but me.

Like Mclauren, I have noted that wing mates who are flying stealth-heavy ships seem to have a much higher survival rate.

I make my bombers more stealth heavy than my fighters too. If you are careful and patient, it is almost impossible for the computer to find a ship with 3-4 stealth units per side. If there is an attack mission you are desperate to complete, stealth bombers are your best friend.

The two ships shown above had consistently gotten my past mission 20, though their effectiveness beyond that point drops compared to my higher cost ships.
shrike

Postby Bardash Blackridge » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:01 pm

I have used stealth liberally is some of my designs. My first design, the Vashnin has about 11 stealth modules and was responsible for getting my first 200+ mission commander. On attack missions, I usually set my wingmates to circle and then, when I find the enemy, I have them avoid contact. This way I can usually slip behind the enemy fleet unnoticed and pick them off one bye one. On defense missions, I allow my wingmates to attack and I try to pick off the enemy squadron leader as quickly as possible in the ensuing chaos.

When I have a non-stealth ship, I find having high thrust and high turning are incredibly important. High thrust is great for evading Oriks and high turning for the other missiles. Repair bots are incredibly useful, also.

It may go without saying, but the most important thing to do in the Critical Mass universe is to keep moving. Even if that means giving up an easy kill, it is better to still be alive.
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. ---H. P. Lovecraft
Bardash Blackridge

Postby umeboshi110 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:06 pm

true that, especially when you get very outnumbered in the more difficult missions. you'll have to run around smashing as many enemies as you can without wasting time chasing crippled enemies.
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
umeboshi110

Postby the space predator » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:45 pm

The only moment for kill crippled ennemy, is at the end of the battle, when there is only 3-4 ennemy ship that are still remaining
the space predator

Postby gavindegraw1 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:31 am

why you said that, did you ever fight in war ?
Last edited by gavindegraw1 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
|
gavindegraw1

Postby the space predator » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:42 pm

yes I did, and this is why I know that it's generaly better to kill ennemy before they kill you, and so let the crippled ennemy ship that can't do you no harm...
the space predator

Postby Son Johan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:52 am

*sigh* Humans...
Son Johan

Postby glenndench » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:56 am

any update

glenndench

Return to Critical Mass