[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - size of ships

size of ships

Command a squadron of spaceships

size of ships

Postby Goblinarcher » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:11 am

Goblinarcher

Postby Fusion_power » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:07 pm

Fusion_power

Postby Old Man Johnson » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:26 pm

My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby Goblinarcher » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:14 am

in space capital ships would move just as fast as a fighter. most movies and games dont take into account that physics are different in space due to the lack of atmosphere and varios other factors. have you seen the latest star trek movie? its proly the only movie with space combat that capitol ships are fast and manuverable.
Goblinarcher

Postby Old Man Johnson » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:14 pm

A bigger ship would accelerate slower, since their is much more mass involved. However, I have revised my opinion because I was playing the original Critical Mass (1.0) and saw it listed the ship weight. A Cruiser is 64,000 tons, a Fighter is like 12,000, so I think they are capital ships because they weigh enormous amounts.
My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby McLauren » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:10 am

Im not so sure that they are all capital ships. I think it ranges from small fighters to light capital ships. Some ships are far too weak to be capitol ships in my opinion. But the higher end ships are too well sheilded and carry too much firepower to be fighters, but they still are not true, full blown capital ships, because if the best ship you could make on CM manage to get into a match with a starship from Star Trek or Starwars, it would be screwed.
McLauren

Postby Goblinarcher » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:39 am

the missiles are measured in megatons, the nuke dropped on hiroshima was 12.5 kilotons (1 kiloton = 1,000 tons of tnt). im from america where they still do things wrong so im not sure if this is actually right but here goes!

1 megaton = 1,000 kilotons
daycorn = 5 megatons = 5,000 kilotons
5,000/12.5 = 400

a daycorn missle is 400 times the power of the hiroshima bomb

i think its safe to say that a critical mass vessel could take on a one from starwars or star trek
Goblinarcher

Postby McLauren » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:56 pm

I dont agree because phasers can destroy incoming missiles and with the stupidity of most missiles in CM, If I had a tractor beam I would simply redirect the course of that missile right toward the ship it came from and it would go hurtling right back at them. Also, I think photon torpedos have much more range than a the missiles on CM, other than the Orik of course. However no matter how many radars your ship has, you can never see as far as an Orik can go, which under most circumstances, renders that range pointless. And as for Starwars, well I havent seen too many of those movies so you amy have me there.
McLauren

Postby Goblinarcher » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:19 am

why would the tracktorbeam work on cm missles and not photon torpedos?
Goblinarcher

Postby Sean OConnor » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:11 am

If ever one of those pesky Starship Enterprise things turns up I'll just add a 500 megaton missile that travels 4 times the speed of light and is invisible to all known radars. Let's see if Cpt Kirk can get out of that one!

:)
Sean OConnor

Postby McLauren » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:37 pm

Well, as for the reason a tractor beam can catch a missile and not a photon torpedo is because the missiles in CM move much slower than a photon torpedo.

As for that missile, I dont see how kirk could avoid it. You got me on that one.
McLauren

Postby Styro » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:19 pm

If it follows the plot of most of the Star Treks I've seen, Scotty would alter the phase variance of their warp drives, creating a rift in the space-time continuum. This would allow them to send a message to themselves in the past, warning them of the danger and allowing them to avoid it. Or something. Whatever all that means. :)
Styro

Postby Goblinarcher » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:28 am

yea, star trek is kinda lame like that. its still entertaining tho
Goblinarcher

Postby BoxZone_Author » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:47 pm

The yellow bit on the ships is the 'cockpit'.
That suggests the ships are small (otherwise it would be a bridge)
BoxZone_Author

Postby Goblinarcher » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:37 am

and yet they have multiple command centers witch would suggest that there caps. i dont know why it bugs me so much but i just have to know!
Goblinarcher

Next

Return to Critical Mass