[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - What makes a good wingman?

What makes a good wingman?

Command a squadron of spaceships

What makes a good wingman?

Postby Sketchy » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:52 pm

Sketchy

Postby TheKangaroo » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:04 pm

TheKangaroo

Postby the space predator » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:46 am

I need to write something, so i create that signature.
the space predator

Postby Legacy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:06 am

"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!
Legacy

Postby shrike » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:05 pm

shrike

Postby umeboshi110 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:18 pm

using more wingmen is fun, but i find that cheaper ships really can't stand up to the stronger enemies. also, i usually use a radar guy but the use of radars inherently makes it weaker and more susceptible to death. i also usually don't give drachans to my fighter wingmen, they just don't cut it in a fierce dogfight.
i'm also finding that you shouldn't use too many missile launchers for your guys, but sometimes you need firepower. i prefer survivability to offense, as it doesn't bode well with me when they keep dropping like flies, but the mission objective is more important. it's best to make them as good as they can be so they can kill more enemies quickly to reduce their total strength in a large fight, as well as be effective throughout the battle. oftentimes you'll need decoy-like ships in defense missions too, not just stealthy guys who will let some enemies through to any vulnerable targets.
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
umeboshi110

Postby the space predator » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:47 pm

A lot of missile launcher is a mistake, but a lot of missile is a good choice. have a wingman that will survive bu that have only 5 missile is not really useful
the space predator

Postby Fusion_power » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:22 am

Here is what you have to consider. As you play the game, it gets progressively harder and the enemy becomes harder to kill. Your wingmen have to change to meet the varying conditions. Here are some of the ways to beat the odds.

1. Design attack wingmen with plectrons and a few daycorns. Give them either a lot of turning or a lot of speed. They will have to have it to survive for long. As you get to missions above 100, you will need wingmen with pregressively more armor and eventually with lots of stealth. My choices to meet this need are usually to make wingmen of some of the ships I prefer to fly but usually they are lesser designs than I am flying at the time. This biases the game so that the wingmen are less likely to kill me.

2. Design dogfighting wingmen with lots of turning and moderate speed. Give them lots of daycorns and a few genees. Don't give them oriks because they have an annoying habit of shooting you if they have them.

3. Never design a wingman with less than 3 missile launchers. This can be the difference between winning and losing in many missions.

4. Use an appropriate strategy for each possible mission. Static target missions require more plectrons or yataris. Dogfighting missions require speed/turning and daycorns.

5. Learn when to spread your wingmen. Often, the difference in a mission is the moment at which you tell them to search for the enemy.

DarJones
Fusion_power

Postby Sketchy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:00 am

In my experience, it's no good trying to have separate attack and dogfighting ships.
You have no control over their actions (they even ignore the "stay in formation" order), and the AI isn't smart enough to prioritize targets. The end result is that attack ships will always end up dogfighting, and fighters may end up attacking static targets too. There's also no guarantee that the ships you want will even be available at the start of the mission - you could easily get stuck with only dogfighters on an attack mission.
These are two of the biggest flaws in CM.

I actually prefer wingmen to be quite ineffective. I want them to survive a long time (so they need a lot of missiles & armor), I want them to be able to spot stealthy enemy ships (esp. when there's that one last ship hiding somewhere), and I want them to draw some enemy fire - that's all.

It's actually a good thing if they don't kill enemy ships, because that leaves more for me, improving my chances of a Gold Cross.
Even if there are more enemies than you can handle on your own, you can always just destroy the wing leader and the rest of his buddies will hyperspace.

There's actually a very narrow window where wingmen are useful (plus the "destroy coloniser" mission) - in the early missions there aren't enough enemy ships, so you can't afford for your wingmen to be stealing kills, and then once you can afford a ship costing 150+ you can easily win any mission without them.
Sketchy

Postby the space predator » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:50 pm

the space predator

Postby TheKangaroo » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:58 pm

TheKangaroo

Postby davidbofinger » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:29 am

davidbofinger

Return to Critical Mass