More sofisticated missions ?

Command a squadron of spaceships
flap

More sofisticated missions ?

Post by flap » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:59 pm

Hello hello !

I have recently discovered Critical Mass in the pack with all games. (well rediscovered. I had seen it already a few years ago...).

I like that game. Especially how simple it plays. However, I fell that with (relatively) little change it might be possible to improve it a lot !

Basically it would be to give order to the different groups of ships during the mission creation :
- Kill cargo. These ships will specifically try to kill ships with cargo.
- Kill passengers. They will hunt ships with passengers.
- Kill offensive. They will hunt ships with weapons and ignore the others.
- Kill "Ship name". Maybe a list of ship types could be given (for example Starbase "light")
- Protect group. This group of ships will specifically try to protect an other group. (which means fly close to this group. Try to kill all offensive ships close to this one. And come back to protection as soon as the enemy is too far away from the group)
- Escape. The ship will try to leave the screen at the opposite side of the screen. It will try to avoid fight.
- And all the orders that can be given to his squadron by the player (circle, detect enemy, fire at will...)

In the same way, all these new orders could be given ingame by the player to his squadron.

Also, there could be some variations in the missions targets : I think that for now when something is a mission objective, we need to kill all of them, or protect at least one. Next to mission objective, we could have a combo box with different choice : "All","Half","At least one", and an other with "Exterminate" (we need to kill the escape pod), "Material" (we need to destroy the ship), or "Regular" (having the escape pod to launch is enough for us. The way it is now I think).

I fell that this would allow for some more sophisticated missions...

---

An other thought, about the "stay in formation" order, I fell that your squadron should know where you plan to go before they plan their movement. You are the leader, you have a radio, so you could simply warn them that you will turn right... This would make squadron a bit more tight.

---

Well, I the last few years Sean hasn't posted much there and last release is 6 years ago, so I am afraid that no more work will be done. But my hope is that with the new supports such as Iphone, a new market opens for that game and justifies the extra work !

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:15 pm

Ahoy!
I'd agree one or two additional commands to the squadron would come in handy and so do many others as - in different variants - it has been suggested more than once before. I personally don't think, though, that we have to make much of a distinction between cargo ships, passenger carriers and installations, just a command to attack the primary target would suffice in my opinion.
About the different mission objectives I'm not perfectly clear on what you mean, but I see how having a more distinct check on the vessel final status might be an addition, considering how now a ship hyperspacing out is considered destroyed, although for example in a 'Kill politician'-mission it would technically be a failure.

flap

Post by flap » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:34 pm

"Attack primary target". Hmm. Yes, it sounds simple... But the idea here with ship type or cargo/passenger is that the IA does not need to know of which group an enemy ship is part (He doesn't know for sure that it is a target. But it looks like it is), nor to know befor the game starts where the ships are...

What I meant in the mission for the 2 new parameters, was that when the status "Is mission target" is given to a group of ships, if it is an enemy it means "You must kill all of them". If it is a friend it means "At leas one must survive". Well, specifically for the friends, we could imagine that we wan't ALL of them to survive.

Anyway, the chance of this happening is probably quite small...

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:24 pm

A kind of briefing before the mission? Yes, give order to the other squad and to our wingman before the mission can be a good idea.
I need to write something, so i create that signature.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:36 pm

But the idea here with ship type or cargo/passenger is that the IA does not need to know of which group an enemy ship is part (He doesn't know for sure that it is a target.
Ah, I see what you're getting at. Maybe the order should make them target every ship belonging to the same major class as the primary target. Still sounds feasable.
What I meant in the mission for the 2 new parameters, was that when the status "Is mission target" is given to a group of ships, if it is an enemy it means "You must kill all of them". If it is a friend it means "At leas one must survive". Well, specifically for the friends, we could imagine that we wan't ALL of them to survive.
Perhaps besides a success/failure there should be partial successes, which would account for that. A bit like the rating system in Firefight, which might give you an overall good performance rating even if you failed, because you at least inflicted heavy damage upon the enemy. I just don't know whether that would make things quite complicated.

flap

Post by flap » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:49 am

the space predator wrote:A kind of briefing before the mission? Yes, give order to the other squad and to our wingman before the mission can be a good idea.
Well, my idea was more at the mission design stage. Because some enemy squadron too could benefit from a more specific target.

Sketchy

Post by Sketchy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:00 pm

These are good ideas, although they've been suggested before.

Unfortunately, it seems like CM is no longer being developed - the last update was way back in 2004, and Sean has only posted 5 comments in the CM section of the forum since 2007.
I'm still hoping a thrid party will one day release a CM clone...

flap

Post by flap » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:18 pm

Well, yeah I would not be surprised that these are common suggestions...

It seems that there is one clone :
http://home.comcast.net/~shadowman131/ShadowArmada.htm

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:32 pm

cloned, the turret are looking like in CM
I need to write something, so i create that signature.