Wingman Spacing & Friendly Fire

Command a squadron of spaceships
civet5285

Wingman Spacing & Friendly Fire

Post by civet5285 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:08 pm

This is probably obvious to you veterans, but I have found that when I space my wingman in positions 4 and 5 (rather than 1 and 2, right next to me) that I can avoid some of those annoying friendly fire hits.

What do you guys do to avoid them?

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:18 pm

Pray a lot...
"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:03 pm

generally I try to not be whit them during the battle, I f they are not whit me, they can't hit me...
I need to write something, so i create that signature.

Sketchy

Post by Sketchy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:27 pm

Putting wingmen in the wider positions also means there's less chance of enemy ships sneaking past you.

Using the "line" formation helps too. With the default "wedge" formation, you're always at the front, and as soon as you spot the enemy all your wingmen will fire a load of missiles in your backside. With the "line" formation though, you're usually not in their line of fire.

Once you're in a proper dogfight, there's really nothing you can do - just pray, like Legacy said.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:25 pm

Also you can increase formation spacing using the orders menu or even order 'Search For Enemy', which spreads the force even thinner. In a surprise move you can also order column formation which has all wingmen line up right behind you; sounds stupid but worked for me, as they seem a lot more aware of your position then, but on the other hand I've never had such a constant problem with friendly fire anyway.

Bardash Blackridge

Post by Bardash Blackridge » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:17 pm

I always place my wingmen in positions 6 and 7 with line formation and loose spacing. On attack missions when I am flying a stealth ship, I usually don't even let them near the area of conflict and command them to avoid contact. On defense missions, I hope for the best, but expect the worst.
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. ---H. P. Lovecraft

rucrazy

Re: Wingman Spacing & Friendly Fire

Post by rucrazy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:00 pm

Once you're in a proper dogfight, there's really nothing you can do - just pray, like Legacy said?

Mainak

Re: Wingman Spacing & Friendly Fire

Post by Mainak » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:43 am

Yes. Legacy's right.