stealth/radar

Command a squadron of spaceships
DeadFire13

stealth/radar

Post by DeadFire13 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:58 am

i was just wondering. Your wingmen would see all the ships you see, and you would see all the ships they see, if they have lots of radars/scanners (w/e). I never noticed it, but is there some sort of indication to show whether you're stealthed or not? I've heard that stealth is the way to go, but sometimes i think im invisible, but im not, so when i go into combat i get destroyed. i'd like to know if im visible or not so i kno if im flying into the enemy's firing range so that i can turn around or bail out. Also, does which side the radars go on affect if your ship is blind on one side or the other? Because if you get hit on the left side by a missile, your left shield is destroyed, not your right.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:41 pm

There is no sure way to know whether or not an enemy can see you, but with a bit of experience you can judge that quite alright. Of course knowing how close an enemy has to be to see you doesn't mean squat if your own radar is so weak that you can't make them out in time.
If an enemy ship is actually aiming at you, though, the 'threat' warning will come alive (flashing green indicator and a 'chopping' warning sound). The threat warning means that there is an enemy ship whose guided missiles, should it fire one, would lock onto you right now (the exact mirror of your 'target' indicator, so to speak). It does not however imply that the enemy has actually seen you or could hit you for real from that angle! Still if the enemy always seems to sneak up to you this warning might give you a turn of headstart.
Secondly the side you put radar onto your ship does influence the scan range in that direction only. Having four radar on the front side, for example, will give you a good detection range to the front, but won't warn you of enemies to your sides or rear at all. The cost for radar also depends greatly on which side they go, aft-facing radar being very costly.

DeadFire13

Post by DeadFire13 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:17 pm

thanks man

umeboshi110

Post by umeboshi110 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:45 am

just a technicality, I think the threat warning goes off even when a guided missile would aim at a different target that is, say, somewhere between you and the enemy, so long as you are within a certain range of that enemy. you can try to predict how the enemy missiles will move and take advantage of that.
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)