Saving Ships

Command a squadron of spaceships
genspest

Saving Ships

Post by genspest » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:47 am

I don't know whats wrong with my C.M, but every time i design a new ship, click ok and everything, when I close and reopen critical mass, their all gone.

Does anyone know why? I still have about 20 ships from a while ago that was saved fine. Missions don't save properly either, anyone know why?

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:17 am

Are you using Vista or Windows 7 now? I know that those new OSes don't allow my games to write to data files within the .exe file's folder, but re-direct to your "home" folder instead. I didn't think that that affected the game though as they could still be read there. Maybe what is happening is that your new data is being written to your home folder but when you re-start the game it reads the data from the .exe file's folder. Let me know if that sounds like what is happening and I'll do some investigating.

genspest

Post by genspest » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:12 pm

I can't find any of the folders that the ships are saved in. I downloaded a few ship designs off links from the forum and added them to the custom ships one by one, which seemed to save fine.

The only files in my CM folder is Sounds, Missles, Missions, Roll of honor, options,designs, the shortcut to the app and the help.

Can you give me a step to step guide how to find the right files and how to save them properly?

I'm using Windows 7 right now.

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:51 am

This might help.

1. My Computer:
2. C: drive
3. Profiles
4. Your Profile
5. Applications
6. find the cmass folder

If you have a different data drive, you may have to substitute D: or E: depending on the applicable drive letter.

DarJones

genspest

Post by genspest » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:52 pm

I can find the CM folder easily, the Ships just arn't in there.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:29 pm

Where did you install the games to? Windows Vista and 7 won't let you change files within the C:\Program Files\ folder without admin rights either, so that might be the problem.

genspest

Post by genspest » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:33 am

Yeah, its in C drive program filesx86, I tried to do it on another account on the computer and also i tried running it as admin, i could only create a few ships (about 15 or so), that will save in and the rest will all be deleated

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:25 pm

you are looking for a file named designs.dat All ship files are stored in the designs file until you export them as shp files.

DarJones