I think I just set a record, 15 consecutive gold crosses

Command a squadron of spaceships
Fusion_power

I think I just set a record, 15 consecutive gold crosses

Post by Fusion_power » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:26 pm

It was for missions 35 and 49. I got a metal of Conspicuous Bravery on mission 51 and nearly got my tail shot off in mission 52. I am now on mission 57 and it is getting progressively harder with the big ships I am having to fight.

DarJones

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:20 pm

the only thing I can say is: wow!
truly amazing! whit my crazy and dangerous flying style, it will never happend to me :lol:
I need to write something, so i create that signature.

Conzul

Post by Conzul » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:40 am

I bet you have a custom ship by now....I know I did. I built a custom ship myself and gave it nothing but plectrons.

Every so often, when I'd made enough more $$, I'd modify the original template to include armor upgrades and such. I got to mission 93 before a freak salvo of 2 plectrons got in and wiped out all 4 of my command centers.

That's about when I lost interest in the game :(
Beware pirates bearing gifts!

Sketchy

Post by Sketchy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:19 pm

Nice,
although it does get *a lot* easier by that point (lots of valuable but easily destroyed ships, and custom ships don't really improve beyond a value of about 150 credits).

If you could get 15 GCs in your first 15 missions, I'd be *really* impressed.

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:08 am

Sketchy,

I'm playing a custom ship list. The enemy ships go way beyond anything in the standard Designs.dat file. To cut to the details, my game does NOT get easier until well over 100 missions. Even then, you can get shot to ribbons.

I wrote up the way to change your designs list a couple of years ago. It is still here in a thread somewhere.

DarJones

Sketchy

Post by Sketchy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:56 am

So says you...
Either way, it's not directly comparable.

Like I said - custom ships don't really improve beyond 150 credits in value (by which point you've pretty much filled the available component slots, and adding more shields isn't worth it it because it reduces performance) - and you can afford that well before mission 50.

That means by mission 50 there are going to be heaps of high value targets to destroy, while you'll still be flying a cheap ship yourself - which makes it very easy to get GCs, since the main determining factor is the relative values of your ship and those you destroy.
Powerful enemy ships may make it harder to survive, but they make it much easier to get GCs when you do.

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:52 am

Then I will challenge you Sketchy. I'll send you my ship designs.dat file and you can use it to start a game. I dare you to play a game that gets beyond 30 missions.

Are you up to it?

DarJones

Sketchy

Post by Sketchy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:58 pm

Sure, sounds like fun - just as long as I can still fly my own custom ships too.
You should probably post stuff like that anyway, if it's good.

Oh how I wish Sean would add online multiplayer though...

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:26 pm

If you goof it up, caveat emptor.

Start Critical Mass and export any ships you want to have available in the new Designs.dat file. Before you export them, check that the "used by race" check boxes are all checked. You must export each ship that you want available whether for enemy use or for your custom ships list. Very Important, if you have a game in progress, you must import all ships that are currently used in that game, otherwise it can cause problems when you start that game up. Exit Critical Mass and go to the directory where the game program files are stored.

Copy your existing Designs.dat file and place that copy someplace safe. My preference is to copy and then paste it into the Critical Mass directory and then re-name it as Designs.sav. If you do this, you will have a copy of your designs file to go back to when and if you decide to quit using this modified version. The Designs.dat file can be found in the main Critical Mass directory.

Save a copy of this modified Designs.dat file onto your computer in the Critical Mass directory so that it replaces the old file. http://www.selectedplants.com/miscan/Designs.dat

Sketchy, I'm putting the below special file on my website just for you. When you pull it onto your computer, be sure to rename it Designs.dat exactly like your existing file. Use the above instructions and you will be off and playing at a level you've never played before.

http://www.selectedplants.com/miscan/Designs.da_

BTW, I have gotten 12 gold crosses in my first 15 missions.

DarJones

Sketchy

Post by Sketchy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am

Cool, thanks.
I downloaded it, and I'll give it a go in the next day or two.

EDIT:
I think something's gone a bit wrong - it forgets all the custom ships I import. I have to re-import them every time I run CM. :(

EDIT:
Currently on mission 43 (although not doing very well - out of practice).
The spidery ships are annoying, as stealthy ships usually are.
So far, the rest are pretty harmless though (far less of a threat than the Snake series of ships, for instance). I think they'd make good player-controlled ships.

Did you use the autosize feature? Some of the ships seem way too big, relative to their value.

EDIT:
I died :(
Mission 65, and I went head-to-head with a Warrior while flying my 128pt Wildcat. Only ever gonna be one winner there...

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:42 am

Sketchy,

You may have to import your ships, then quit the game, then re-enter it to get it to keep them in memory.

How did you like the new ships and new playing strategy?

DarJones

Conzul

Post by Conzul » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:59 pm

I decided to give the game another go. Died 2wice, haven't died since then:

I named it after the creator of the world from the Silmarillion. Thought that was badass.