[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - More Helpful Download ships page

More Helpful Download ships page

Command a squadron of spaceships

Postby Fuzzy Wonky » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:05 am

A few words on this subject:
Those are ships I only seldom fly now as I have entirely renewed this former series ("Space Jets") I had made. Pleasure needs a bit of change from time to time.
At that time I was a bit tired of my two first series (respectively "Arrowheads" and "Birds") and I wanted ships like jets (funny how so many space "ships" are thought of and look like? planes) and coloured (I don?t feel like playing the same colour again and again). I also wanted :
- turning power (I deem 67 a minimum);
- sufficient thrust (at least 40 except for very few exceptions; usually more than 45);
- stealth (I like 8 of them, and feel unease with less than 6);
- at least 3 radars on the front (4 is better);
- 2 or 3 command separated centers (depending on the shielding);
- reduced size (much better when you happen to colide with ennemy ships and have to avoid their plectrons; much much better also in the midst of asteroid fields).
Those were the general requirements I made but every ship is a compromise: cost and weight (and therefore performance) have to be kept restricted, not to mention a limited number of slots (8 per side) as far as internal components are concerned. You can?t have your cake and eat it (or, as they say it in french: you can?t have these four: butter, your money for butter, the dairywoman?s bum, and the dairyman smiling).
You won?t find REPAIR BOTS on my ships. It?s a choice I made (I like the idea though) as repair bots are too expansive, too heavy, uncertain, without any capacity to repair shields. Once internal components have been damaged (meaning that one side is now open to ennemy hits with no shield to protect it any more), it seems to me it?s time to think about leaving the place and getting back home (each repair bot -- within a limit of four -- only stands a 1 in 10 chance of getting you something repaired ? which is not necessarily the one component you need most at that very moment -- provided of course the repair bot has not itself been turned into rubble?)
You won?t find really SPECIALIZED SHIPS either (according to my experience, what is needed mainly is useful multi-purpose tools one isn?t obliged to change each turn). And all the more so since commanders are but seldom offered the choice of the right specialized ship (when one has been specially designed) at the beginning of the very mission they need it !
As for MISSILES, I found that neither Drachan nor Orik can fit so well my style of playing. Usually I don?t use them (but you can change all ammo equipments according to your own style).
I have progressively upgraded the very low cost ships I had, so you?ll sometimes have to fly standard ships for your new commander?s one or two first missions (using a Fuzzy Wonky?s ship is something one must gain the right to).
The ?spacejets? have been used by nearly four dozens of commanders already. They?ve also been used to test 31 additional custom missions. Now if you feel like trying one of them, please remember that FULL SIZE IS NOT REAL SIZE (I mean useful size)! The ships are full size for you to see the graphics better but my advice would be to reduce their size before playing (enter your Design ships box and click the Shrink button to reduce the size according to your liking ? even up to five or six times).
Wanna get one of those spacejets ? 1) Download the pack (all 39 ships) to your hard drive (somewhere outside your Critical Mass program); 2) Unzip the files: double click the icon of the files to open the zip box, select all the files inside the zip box (press Control + A) and drop/copy them into the folder of your choice, and then 3) enter the CM Design ships box, click Design / Import from file? and choose the one you want to have it loaded into your game.
I sent the ships to Fighter Ace as they were but you may of course modify or adapt them (shape, colour, missils, characteristics) as you like. I was used to changing colours or even components as the fancy took me (ships were never fixed once and for all) and I?m still doing.
Have fun.
-- --
Fuzzy Wonky

Postby Fighter_Ace » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:45 am

I have to agree with ya Fuzzy Wonky! Also, so true about what you said about repair bots!

Furthermore, I am truly sorry for taking so long for updating ships lately. My aunt is staying at my house for about five days and it being Christmas and all, you can probably see where I'm coming from :wink: . I should be back in business in a day or two! Till then, keep your spirits high :) !
Fighter_Ace

Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Postby Steve! » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:10 pm

I was under the impression that the hit boxes for the ships were the same size regardless. So therefore shrinking the ship would have no effect on missile/asteroid evasion.

Otherwise I could just make a ship with no triangles at all and I would be impossible to hit...
Steve!

Postby Fuzzy Wonky » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:20 pm

-- --
Fuzzy Wonky

Postby Bob Janova » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:54 pm

Bob Janova

Postby Fuzzy Wonky » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:49 am

-- --
Fuzzy Wonky

Postby ima_gnu » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:52 am

I poop, therefore I am.
ima_gnu

Postby Fuzzy Wonky » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:12 am

-- --
Fuzzy Wonky

Postby Bob Janova » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:33 pm

Bob Janova

Postby umeboshi110 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:36 am

umeboshi110

Postby Garnier » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:14 pm

Garnier

Postby Fuzzy Wonky » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:43 pm

-- --
Fuzzy Wonky

Postby Fighter_Ace » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:17 pm

Yeah. I've wondered about that, too. Weight does seem to play a role there. I have flow a huge ship before and have had missiles fly right through my wings! Weight seems to be the solution to the incident. There has got to be some scale factor there!

P.S. I will be gone for about a week in two days. I will be going to a cousin's wedding in Texas and won't be able to upload ships :cry: . Please don't send me in any in the meantime... you'll make me feel quite guilty :P . I already have some I need to get up. I will try to get those up before the trip. Anyway, I'll let ya know when I re-open on this thread!
Fighter_Ace

Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Postby Fuzzy Wonky » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:40 am

-- --
Fuzzy Wonky

Postby Fighter_Ace » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:14 am

Ok, I am finally back! Yes! What a time! Anyway, right before I left, I discovered my computer power supply went out and died on me! So I have been down about a week or more. Major 'ouch'! So I apologize for how dang long it has taken me but... walla, I'm back :P !
Fighter_Ace

PreviousNext

Return to Critical Mass