Radar and Stealth modules - a useful table

Command a squadron of spaceships
BoxZone_Author

Radar and Stealth modules - a useful table

Post by BoxZone_Author » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:01 pm

Sean was kind enough to tell us the formula for working out visible range based on number of Radars and Cloaks.
I have created a table which shows you how far away you can see (or be seen) at
http://www.btinternet.com/~boxzone/OtherGames/CriticalMass/Critical_Mass.htm

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:26 pm

How can you have 12 stealth? Does it count from multiple sides?

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:31 pm

Yes. Radar only work on that side but it's the TOTAL stealth that a ship has that counts.

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:34 pm

Wow! Didnt know that, There was me ramming 4 stealth pods on each side to make my ships super stealthy.

Now i know thats just a tad overkill! :)

I'd given up on stealth ships at this stage in the game, but now i may reconsider....

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:04 am

That's a great table - I'll put that in the help file!

Styro

Post by Styro » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:22 pm

I was under the impression that once ANY enemy spotted you that ALL enemies knew where you were and always remembered it (even after you flew out of range). Is this not the case?

If this is true then stealth is only useful for the initial contact and after that it is wasted space.
If I may say so, life is a game, and there's so much to do and so few turns.
- Reiner Knizia

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:36 pm

Ive had a stealthy ship be spotted by one enemy and he then pursued me for ages, however other enemies reverted to not being able to see me.

I assume i must have flew out of range of radar, but the one on my tail didnt give up the chase for some reason, he couldnt see me else the others would have also seen me.

Usually if you fly away and come back they can no longer see you.

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:01 pm

I believe the enemy sees (or doesn't see you) exactly the same way you see (or don't see) the enemy.

A] If any ship in fleet A can see ship B. All fleet A ships can see ship B.

B] When ship B goes out of range, it becomes a '?' which continues to travel at the last known speed in the last known direction (and therefore becomes bad data in only a few turns).

Therefore you can 'hide' from the enemy again after you have been spotted (just like those enemy vampires).

McLauren

Post by McLauren » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:04 am

Yea but that doesnt happen for the AI. The AI can see and follow you where as your radar guesses where the AI may have went based on thier last known course and speed. Often times I get in a situation during an attack mission where during the fray, a civilian or two have slipped away. They show up as a question mark as you said, but my wingmen knew exactly where it was. It was often going in a completely opposite direction form what the question mark suggested. I would have never found had my wingmen not led me to it.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:12 am

The visibility should work the same for you as for the enemy ships. If one ship on a side is seen by *any* enemy ship then all the enemy can see you. Once you slip out of range of all the enemy's ships then none of them can see you. They can still track the question marks which continue to move at your last known speed and angle but they shouldn't be able to cheat and find objects that have veered off that course. Let me know if you think they are and I'll investigate...

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:11 pm

You can sometimes still see the engine exhaust of a ship that is itself out of range of your scanners.
Sean do the AIs make use of this?

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:50 pm

It never fails. Every time there's only question marks left, my allies systematically hunt them down. Even if the question mark is diametricfally oppisite the actual ship, they just go directly to the spot. I once had my Dread with all it's sensors destroyed and it still found the coloniser because one of my other allies had spotted it already...
My webcomic:

Admiral Slim

Post by Admiral Slim » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:36 am

The stealth table is the bomb. For players who are pursued by a relentless AI, check the ship you are engaged with. If it has enough scanners, it will see you depending on distance, range and angle from you. I play a ship with lots of stealth, and I am fequently able to manouver amoungst an enemy practically undetected, unless I'm in directly in front of an enemy ship. I have 8 cloaks on my ship, and many times I have flown right in between a squad of ships and watched the enemy continue on, never having a clue that I cut right through the middle of their formation. I can usually manouver around, and then approach from their aft with great speed, making it nearly impossible for them to react and manouver.

Sweeeeeet
Happy is that city which in times of peace thinks of war!