Are these bugs?

Command a squadron of spaceships
McLauren

Are these bugs?

Post by McLauren » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:10 am

There are a couple of things that ive noticed but just havent got around to saying, but here goes:

1) Fleet commanders often get misplaced at the beginning of the mission. As a result, AI ships bang into each other (and me) and we are thoroughly unprepared when the enemy shows up. On the other hand, this does appear to happen to the enemy as well

2) When building a ship, adding more components changes the handling characteristics of a ship for the worse, unless they are engines, but when you loose these components during battle, the opposite doesnt take place. For instance, adding turning engines counters thrust, but when you loose one or more of those engines, your thrust should improve, right? same for missiles. If you are flying a light ship laiden with missiles, shouldnt the handling improve to the way it was when it was empty as you fire missiles?

Sean OConnor

Re: Are these bugs?

Post by Sean OConnor » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:06 am

McLauren wrote:1) Fleet commanders often get misplaced at the beginning of the mission. As a result, AI ships bang into each other (and me) and we are thoroughly unprepared when the enemy shows up. On the other hand, this does appear to happen to the enemy as well

That sounds like a bug but I've not seen that happen myself. Can you make it always happen - like when you choose a particluar formation? If it happens again could you save the game and send it to me?

2) When building a ship, adding more components changes the handling characteristics of a ship for the worse, unless they are engines, but when you loose these components during battle, the opposite doesnt take place. For instance, adding turning engines counters thrust, but when you loose one or more of those engines, your thrust should improve, right? same for missiles. If you are flying a light ship laiden with missiles, shouldnt the handling improve to the way it was when it was empty as you fire missiles?

When an object is destroyed it's become broken rather than vanished so you still have to lug the mangled wreckage around with you. If it disappeared then you would end up with damaged ships getting more agile which would be weird!

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:08 pm

Sean,

I've seen many instances of the fleet staring out of formation (with me on the edge rather than the middle and with wingmen stating only about 10 pixels behind me).
It doesn't happen every time and I've not spotted a trend but I'll certainly be able to save a few examples for you.

ancientgamer

Post by ancientgamer » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:34 am

I've noticed this as well.

All I can think of doing out of the "ordinary" is using almost 100% custom ships and I change formations/orders/distances a LOT during a battle.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:51 am

I use many custom ships as well, but I never change my formation. This still happens, and while it's merely a minor inconvienence, I'm interested in why it happens.
My webcomic: